Mindy Memories

Monday, July 16, 2007

I'm so... freaking... tired

I really have no reason, but it seems like for the last week I've wandered around in a daze or slept. I haven't done much stitching at all, and I haven't been sleeping well at night. I don't sleep during the day but even when I try to go to bed at a normal hour I don't sleep well, so it doesn't seem to matter if I take a cat nap when I get home or not. I can think of two reasons this is happening, and it's probably a combination of both:

1. The heat and humidity. Blech. We don't have a/c because of the drama to get it in this apartment (long story). It's actually not too bad in there for normal sitting around and stitching in front of fans, but it's a little warmer than I like for sleeping and I end up waking up or simply not sleeping as well as I'd like.

2. My mom was sick and told me last weekend that she had to get a CAT scan. Luckily, I found out this weekend that the tests came back negative and she's seeing an ENT this week for her problem, but that was in the back of my mind all last week and I guess it still is. Cancer runs in both sides of my family, and my father's mother died from it this past January. My mother's mother died from ovarian cancer and her aunt recently died from breast cancer, so I always think of that horrible disease when something goes wrong healthwise in our family. My dad has also fought skin cancer and prostate cancer. Luckily, they caught the prostate cancer very early in a blood test so they were able to take care of it before it did any damage. So yes, that possibility is always on my mind when a family member is sick and they can't immediately figure out what is wrong.

3. If I'm honest with myself, I know there's a third reason -- I've been eating like crap. I'm eating yogurt, cereal, berries and carrots during the day, but I think I'm not eating enough. Then I go home and don't cook because it's hot, so I tend to get a turkey or ham hoagie at WaWa, along with a small bag of popcorn. I guess I'm not eating completely horribly, but I'm normally a grazer and lately haven't been doing so well.

Blech. My health just tends to go downhill in the summer for reasons #1 and #3, plus my eyes water and get icky a lot more than they used to.

OK, that's enough whining for the day, just had to get it out. I'm sure I'll be myself again soon. I have to be careful, as I find myself more irritated than usual with some of the message board posts I see, and I don't want to get myself into trouble. If I hear one more time about how I'm going to Hell because I read/see movies about Harry Potter...! People who say this, of course, know absolutely nothing about the subject matter. If they did, they'd know that the magic is secondary, and the main plot is about choosing right from wrong even when doing the wrong thing is easier, loyalty, love, friendship, fighting for what you believe, etc. I'm not saying people have to read it because I like it, but quit shoving your holier-than-thou attitudes in my face! I'll never understand why LOTR is OK (I love it, too) and HP is not. Is it because Tolkien was a Christian and Rowling is not? Well, they also talk about how The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe is great because of the Christian symbolism, but it was written by an atheist. So, since it was written by an atheist doesn't it mean you shouldn't read it? I'll never understand the so-called reasoning behind all of this.

Ahem, well, NOW I'm done whining. :)

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry for all the sleeplessness. When we didn't have air I had the same problem.
    Glad your mom's tests were negative-that's one good thing. My mom hasn't been well since 2003. Now she is having financial problems. I think she'll have to try and sell the house one of these days.
    You aren't eating enough protein or enough during the day. Make sure you have some red meat a few times a week and take vitamins.
    I heard if you put bowls of ice in front of the fan, it helps too. The humidity is what drags you down.
    Take it one day at a time.

     
  • At 4:18 PM, Blogger Mindy said…

    Thanks, Dianne. :) I was wondering if maybe I'm not getting enough protein. I'll have to eat more dairy and meat. I'm sorry to hear about your mom. :(

     
  • At 6:43 AM, Blogger Aussie Stitcher said…

    I hope that everything turns out well for your Mum. Take care of yourself.

    Joanne

     

Post a Comment

<< Home