Mindy Memories

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Immigration

OK, I'm a liberal and I'm no fan of what I've read of the proposed legislation. My main issue was reading that if a background check couldn't be confirmed in 24 hours the person would still be allowed into the US. I really hope I read that wrong. Yikes!

Also, I'm very interested in why some people are putting all the blame on the Democrats. This was put together by a committee made of both Democrats and Republicans, and Bush is the one saying it will get passed and he supports it. Yes, the Republican President is backing it, so why all the backlash at the Democrats? For once I wish people would stop blaming everything on the other party.

Frankly, I don't care who came up with it, I think there are some problems with this legislation. I need to read more about it, as I hope the tidbits I read yesterday were not entirely correct. No, I don't think we can just boot out all the illegals that are here, and there are many reasons why I think that's not realistic. However, I don't think we should just allow anyone and everyone to come into this country. I'm not one to say, "Have you forgotten 9/11?" but I really think it applies here.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 4:14 PM, Blogger Karen said…

    I'm don't define myself by any political party. My thoughts and feelings are all over the map, so I don't really fit in any one particular place. But I do completely agree with you on this. No, we can't kick all the illegals out, but we certainly shouldn't just turn a blind eye and let them all stay unaccounted for. Sheesh.... What happened to common sense anyway? I'm tired of the all-or-nothing, black-and-white, liberal-conservative approach to politics lately. What ever happened to the middle ground?

     
  • At 7:07 PM, Blogger Mindy said…

    That middle ground is getting smaller and smaller all the time. As I said, I'm generally liberal, but I'm conservative when it comes to guns and other things. When I vote I tend to vote Democrat but have voted for Republicans who I think have been doing a great job. I'm not a party-only person, and you're right -- the whole black & white, liberal vs. conservative thing is ridiculous.

     
  • At 11:28 AM, Blogger Anna M said…

    Ignoring the whole political side of things, and to put it very simpely, I feel bad for you Americans at all the problems the whole illegal immigration issue is causing you guys. The word illegal has a clear definition, it's too bad not everyone sees it that way.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home