Mindy Memories

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Took two days, but it's fixed!

I've taken the last two days to be here while whatever was wrong with my tub/shower got fixed so that water would stop leaking into my hallway. It wasn't just a little leak -- every time one of us took a shower the carpet would be sopping wet and you could see shoeprints clearly.

The reason I stayed home (and I'm glad I did) is that I don't trust my apartment (AM) manager to tell the maintenance man (MM) everything I tell her. If I hadn't been here today there would have still been a problem because of it, and it's not MM's fault. This happens all the time.

He recaulked the tub and parts of the shower yesterday but couldn't test the water then because of the caulk, which I understand. Realized I still had an awful leak after I took a shower yesterday, so called AM back yesterday to make sure MM could come out again today. I mentioned to her that we thought the shower could have something to do with it, as we noticed our shower pressure had dropped. As usual, she dismissed that, saying "Oh, that could happen due to a number of reasons, blah blah blah."

So, MM guy came today, took the access panel off the hallway wall and saw that the pipe from the drain area was broken. He also mentioned he'd like to punch whoever had the great idea years ago to put concrete around the pipes so that he had to break up a bunch of concrete to get the old pipe in and put the new one in. It took the guy about 2 hours to do that. After he was done I asked if he could run the shower because we thought that was a problem, too. Wonder of wonders -- she hadn't told him any of that. Yeah, that's why I had to be here, or else I would have had to call him back again. So, he tested it and then installed a new shower arm and head.

So, the problem is fixed but it makes me so mad that I have to take time off from work, my vacation days, to be here because dingbat AM won't tell MM the whole story because SHE KNOWS what the problem is and that whatever I think the problem is couldn't possibly be correct. It wouldn't have bothered me so much, except that I'm gone from Wed - Fri next week at CATS and we are all off on Monday as it's Yom Kippur and we get Jewish holidays off. I'll probably be working some over the weekend. It's not a huge deal, but I don't like being out that many days so close together, especially when today and yesterday were unplanned. I have a cool and understanding boss, and she knew I was worried and told me it's fine, but I don't want to take advantage, either.

Anyway, I just had to get that out of my system. It seems to be OK now, which is good. Now I need to start harping on AM to fix the water damage I've had in my apartment forever due to other plumbing issues that were not my fault. I've mentioned them a few times to her, but I think if I report them again and nothing happens I'll have to write a letter with a list of issues and send it to her and CC it to the owners and possibly a lawyer Tim knows. It's not my fault that the idiots upstairs kept flushing stuff they shouldn't, or that they were using a washing machine in an apartment not set up for it, or that it took AM forever to finally install a new check valve in my kitchen sink so I wasn't getting water backing up in my sink and on my kitchen floor.

How the heck this person got a job as an apartment manager, I'll never know.

(OK, I'm done.)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 11:15 AM, Blogger Faith Ann said…

    I'm late commenting... but your WIPs all look fantastic... and Lady of the Flag is stunning!!

    Good luck with the 10-project challenge :)

    (Oh... and that is absolutely absurd that you have to use vacation time to get things fixed in your apartment. That's supposed to be one of the benefits of renting!!)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home