Mindy Memories

Friday, September 22, 2006

Miscellaneous stuff

1. Well, yesterday was an interesting day in Philly. I was at work and I kept hearing helicopters. Finally, I started wondering what was going on and I checked the news online and heard about the explosion under One Penn Center. It was electrical, something about an overloaded cable. Apparently there were anywhere from 3 to 5 explosions and lots of that icky green smoke. Manhole covers were blowin into the air and the footage showed flames shooting out of the manholes. One person was sent to the hospital, but I think it was because she was so scared, not because of physical injuries. I imagine that many people in those buildings thought at first that it was terrorism.

My building is about 2 blocks over, and luckily we didn't lose power or have to evacuate. A 36-square block area was shut down. Luckily, everything is somewhat back to normal today. They say that one retail store near City Hall still is without power, and parts of Ranstead Street are closed, but other than that things are fine.


2. You know, I really used to like the Today Show. It had nothing to do with Katie Couric, as I was never a big fan, but I guess I like Matt Lauer. But in the last few years I've been getting more and more annoyed by the "news" reported. Most of it isn't news at all, but infotainment. I know, it seems that all of the news shows are like this now. The ruckus over Brad&Angelna and Tom&Katie having babies was a bit over the top, among other things that drive me nuts. Now that Meredith is on the show, there's all this talk about her kids, how she lives, etc. Today they said they were going to "look back" on Meredith's first week on the show. Good grief! She's been there ONE WEEK, not fifty years! It's just so annoying. I guess other people care about that stuff, but I frankly don't care if somebody has a kid, no kids, 5 kids, 10 grandkids, 16 dogs, where they live, how many houses they have, the colors used to decorate her bathroom, etc. Just tell me the freakin' news so I have a clue what's going on. I'd just watch CNN, but I don't always trust them to give me the whole story. Then again, I don't think any news source gives you the whole story, so I may have a lost cause there.

3. Once again I have to say: Just because a person doesn't agree with your politics does NOT mean that person is stupid. It's so stupid. I know some people would like us all to be little clones who all think the same (the same as them, of course). Well, we don't. I don't go around calling all Republicans stupid, or conservatives stupid, or non-Presbyterians stupid, but maybe I should. Obviously, trying to be respectful of another person's opinions gets me nowhere as some are happier throwing around generalizations.

Meh. That's all I have time for today. I gotta get ready for work. At least it's Friday and I can wear comfy clothes today. :)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know what you mean about the lives of the newscasters. I also couldn't believe how the babies of celebrities overshadowed all the other news like it was the greatest thing ever! (*yawn*)

     
  • At 10:26 PM, Blogger claudia said…

    The Today show has fallen by the wayside of what's "popular" or will sell commercials. I agree with you. You put it so well, I was getting frustrated watching it and couldn't figure out why, now I know. Thanks!
    Just a snicker....I believe everyone has the right to his or her own opinion....no matter how stupid it is! Just chuckle.....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home