Mindy Memories

Monday, July 10, 2006

OK, this annoys me

At a board I frequent we were discussing what is acceptable to wear to jury duty. One person posted that a judge where she lives doesn't allow women in his court room unless they are wearing a skirt or dress.

So, does this mean that as long as I show up in any sort of skirt or dress it's OK? Can I show up in a micro-mini that is about 3 inches long and sits barely above my pubic bone? Can I wear a skin-tight dress that is painted on? It's not pants, right?

That attitude just pisses me off. I have plenty of beautiful pants and some pants suits that are perfectly acceptable in the business world and should be fine for me to wear to court, woman or not. But nooooooo, because I'm a womban (spelling intentional) I'm supposed to wear dresses and skirts all the time to be professional.

Those of you who read my blog often know that I've recently invested in some nice skirts, so it's not that I'm anti-skirt. It's just the thought that this judge (don't know the gender) wants to force women to wear skirts or dresses.

No, it's not a biggie to me in the long run, considering this judge is not near me, and I'm not THAT worked up over it. I just get tired of people treating women so much differently than men.

Oh, and for the person who commented about the stitching questions -- Near the bottom of my sidebar, under "Favorite Memes" there's a link to the Stitching Blogger's ?. That's where we get our stitching questions. :)

2 Comments:

  • At 10:25 PM, Blogger Terri said…

    I work in the legal field. I'm in SoCal. There are a LOT of judges that want women to wear skirted suits in their courtrooms. There are also some that don't like women with long hair, wearing their hair down. It's just one of those things that female attorneys will put up with if it gets them their "day" in court.

     
  • At 11:59 PM, Blogger H said…

    Hmph. If I'm wearing a suit, imho, the judge shouldn't care if I'm in a skirt or pants. How terribly sexist.

    Anyhow, why I came here was because I saw your comment at DietBlog and wanted to suggest a book to you "Slow Fat Triathlete" (no, I'm not affiliated with the book ;) ) However, the book is very motivating from the perspective you talked about... Doing what you want to do in your body NOW. Plus, you're a swimmer, so, it might be interesting beyond that. It is by Jayne Williams. Pick it up, or your library might have it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home