Mindy Memories

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Finally finished it!

I think it turned out pretty good for my first try at this kind of embroidery. I had an idea in my head of what I wanted to do, but pretty much made it up as I went along. I love, love, love those JCS Ornament Issues with their lovely stitch illustrations in the back! I intend on buying one of those embroidery bible type books, but those magazines come in very handy in the interim. There are some chain stitches I've seen but couldn't figure out how to do, even with instructions, so I didn't include those or buttonhole wheels like I wanted to. I'll have to figure out how to stitch those and use them next time. However, I think I've mastered the bullion knot and French knot. My French knots should now look a lot better after practicing on this piece. I also added generic beads I bought at Michael's.

My two main goals were to contrast texture with simple stitching and go from dark colors down to light colors. I may end up stitching some more on the "M" outline, as I'm not sure if it stands out enough right now. I'll have to let it sit for a while and come back to it.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 11:29 AM, Blogger Kelley said…

    Wow that is so cool! How do you make it into an ornament? Sorry if that is a dumb question, I am kind of clueless about stuff like that.

     
  • At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is really pretty and clever! I've never done anything free style, but it sounds intriguing.
    I couldn't believe all the posts from you! We were all just laughing at the sneezing panda a few days ago. ; )
    I like your new dress too-where is Catherine's-I thought I knew all the clothing stores in your area, but I haven't lived there for almost 21 yrs-lol

     
  • At 11:36 AM, Blogger Mindy said…

    Kelley -- I'm probably not going to make this one into an ornament, but may make a small one into an ornament. I'm not sure. I'm not a good finisher when it comes to those things and usuall make small designs for pre-fabricated flat tuck ornaments that I can just "tuck" the fabric into. Not a dumb question, either -- I'm still trying to answer the question myself. :)

    Dianne -- The Catherine's I go to is on Baltimore Pike. I'm in there all the time and can't remember the name of the plaza. Stoney Creek Plaza, maybe? It's near the Saxer Ave. intersection. It's a pretty nice store.

     
  • At 8:24 AM, Blogger Aussie Stitcher said…

    That looks great.

    Joanne

     

Post a Comment

<< Home