Mindy Memories

Monday, January 30, 2006

Nice day off

I scheduled today off because I knew I'd need it after out awards banquet on Saturday. The banquet went well, but these things tire me out because I have to dress up and pretty much work the whole night. The venue was beautiful -- The Union League in Philadelphia. I could only see certain parts as I'm not a member, but it's a gorgeous place. I heard the dinner was very good, but I only was able to get a little salad and pasta. It was set up with stations and I only had about half an hour to eat before I had to go back to the laptop and run the rest of the presentation, so I didn't get to eat much. Desert was really good. We had that after the awards part so I could relax. They had one of those huge fondue fontains with fruit and pretzels and cake. Yummy! I figured since I didn't get much dinner I'd be darn sure to get desert :)

So, today was a day off but was still pretty productive. The cable guy had to come out to fix my cable, as it was on the fritz. I also had to call our maintenance guy to come out and fix my toilet. This time it was leaking, thank God, but the tank wasn't filling up so we were doing the old flush with a bucket of water routine. We used to have to do that when I was a kid in NY because we had well water and when the power went out so did the pump in the well. It took a long time for me to get used to having running water when the power goes out. Anyway, he fixed it pretty quickly with a new washer. Probably something I could have done but I'm no plumber and don't mess around with pipes and things like that -- asking for trouble.

Then, I took my car to the garage up the street that Tim likes. Friday my car was steaming from under the hood but all my guages were fine, so I figured it was a radiator hose. I could see the one on top was fine, but couldn't see the one underneath. I took it up the street today and the guy looked at it and said the hose was split in half. $58 later and it's fixed, so that was a car repair I handled pretty easily. I'm going to take the car back after I've saved some money because I want to get an estimate on either rebuilding the engine or getting a new one. My car is 10 years old, has less thatn 70,000 miles on it and is in good shape other than the engine and that it needs a paint job. I've been weighing my options and figure a new engine will probably cost around $1000-$1500. I figure that's probably 3-6 months' worth of payments for a car with the same mileage, give or take a little. I'd rather get this one fixed before the engine completely goes and have it for more years before I start paying car payments again.

So, after that I was able to enjoy the rest of my day off -- at about 3PM. It was a beautiful day and I was actually hot for a while. The weather has been really wonky. We had a wind chille of 12 early last week, and today I was walking back from the auto mechanic in short sleeves in the sun. Crazy stuff!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Almost forgot to mention I bought the best line of shampoo and hair products I've used in a while. They are from Redken and aren't cheap, but are less that some others out there. When I got my hair cut on Thursday, the girl at the salon used them and I asked about them and she was really good and told me to start with one first and if I liked it to come back for others. Obviously, I did :) Also, I really appreciated that she didn't try to sell me the whole thing at once, just the one most inexpensive product. That means a lot to me.

Anyway, my hair is now resting on my shoulders and has long layers. She cut it a bit at an angle and when I style it (only need the hair dryer and a round brush) I kinda bring the hair out and around so that it frames my face and curls in a little in front, but out a little in the back. I need to take a picture but I just let it air dry today. I got a lot of compliments at the dinner Saturday.

Anyway, the line of products I bought is the "Body Full" line because my hair is pretty fine and I'm noticing that, probably due to wearing my hair in high ponytails too much, my hair is thinner than it should be at my crown. This shampoo and conditioner makes my hair feel fuller, and a few treatments make it look fuller and give it volume.

Anyway, I really like my hair and these products help, so I figured I'd share :)

1 Comments:

  • At 12:52 AM, Blogger Dianne said…

    You've been busy! Glad your dinner went well. I've lived outside of Philly most of my life and haven't seen half of it. My older brother works at KYW TV and knows his way around everywhere downtown. Bet he'd get lost in the country out here!
    I had to chuckle about your toidy comment. When we lose power for more than a day (and it doesn't happen often), we had to get water in a bucket from the creek. Not much fun.
    I love shampoo! I have thick hair in the back and thinner in the front. There's a olive oil salon shampoo to die for.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home