Mindy Memories

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year!

I had such a lovely New Year's Eve last night. I feel kinda guilty saying that, since Tim wasn't here, but it was nice. He was going to go to his mom's for the evening, but then decided he was going to visit a few bars (not so much for drinking but for visiting people) and I just can't do bars with all that smoke in the air, so I didn't go. I don't think he was upset about it, but if he was that's too bad. It's never been a big holiday for me so it's not like we spent Christmas apart, and we both enjoyed what we were doing, so it works for me.

I spent the night watching movies and stitching on Guardian Angel. I thought I could finish her before today, but not quite. I'll finish her this month or maybe during Finish It February. Today I'm starting Rose Celebration. I kept calling it Scent of Old Roses but that's in my StRIP list. I'm stitching her on a pretty wedgewood blue fabric and I think the colors will really look nice on that color. You know me -- I think every design out there will look good on some shade of blue. In fact, my other Guilt-Free January design will also be stitched on a blue fabric. :)

Anyway, back to New Year's Eve. I remember two in my life where I really had a great time and they were very different:

1. When I was a freshman in college and was home for the break, a bunch of friends from work and I went to Rosie O'Grady's down at Church Street Station in Orlando. That's where they drop the orange. Yes, it's a large orange-lighted ball that goes down a pole, similar to the ball in New York. Well, I was the oldest one and only 19. We walked into Rosie's trying to figure out if they'd serve us, and the bartender just asked us what we wanted, no ID or anything. We all ordered flaming hurricanes -- boy, those were good! That was the only drink I had, but a few of my friends had quite a bit more. Luckily, the guys who drove were designated drivers (yes, we at least had THAT much sense) so we were OK with that stuff. Looking back, I can't believe that guy just offered us drinks, but I think the laws weren't as strict back in 1990 as they are now. Either way, I had a lot of fun. It was before I got to the point where I really can't handle crowds well, so that didn't bother me much.

2. During college and for the few years I lived in FL after graduation, I used to spend some time on the weekends witn an ex-boyfriend of mine and his friends playing Dungeons and Dragons or Magic. James and I had dated when I was first in college, broke up and didn't like each other much, then became good friends. Anyway, one New Year's he and I were at one of his friend's homes and a few of us stayed up all night playing Magic and drinking Rumplemintz. They were also drinking Jagermeister, but not me -- can't stand that stuff and the Rumplemintz is pretty good stuff.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:40 AM, Blogger Anna van Schurman said…

    Mia (http://cafemia.blogspot.com/) is in Broomall, and there's someone else around here--I'll have to check my archives. We should all get together IRL to stitch!

     
  • At 1:27 PM, Blogger Yany said…

    Happy New Year Mindy!!!

    Hugs
    Yany

     

Post a Comment

<< Home