Mindy Memories

Friday, July 22, 2005





You Know You're From Philadelphia When...



You punctuate every sentence with, "You know" at least twice.

Well, I only do it once, and not every sentence :)

You want olive oil, not mayonnaise on your "hoagie".

I don't put either on my hoagie, I use mustard.

You hate the Redskins

Don't give a darn, really.

You hate Dallas.

I don't hate them, but I am not fond of them.

You realize that your favorite dessert is "wooder ice".

You mean "water ice?" I like it, but I don't pronounce it like that.

You find yourself using "yo" and "youse guys" when talking long-distance to family members.

Never, but I still use the "ya'll" I acquired from living in FL for 10 years.

You know how to spell Schuylkill.

Got me there.

You pronounce ACME "ACK-A-ME".

Uh, no.

You think that $2,500 a year for insurance on a 1977 Toyota Corolla is a bargain.

Uh, no.

You find youself at a nice restaurant thinking "I wonder if they have cheese steaks?"

Again -- uh, no.

You sleep soundly through gunfire and ambulance sirens.

Sirens, yes -- considering I live on a road that is the main thoroughfare for every emergency vehicle in Delaware County, it seems. Gunfire I rarely hear where I am except sometimes on holidays when people are stupid and shoot into the air.

You visit New York and are impressed by how clean it is.

I rarely visit NY. Not my thing.

You can't eat french fries without Cheese Whiz.

Only ketchup, please.

You call sprinkles on top of your ice cream cone "jimmies".

Never -- I call them sprinkles, but I don't eat them anyway.

You don't think Wawa sounds funny.

True. I don't think twice about saying this and I sometimes get weird looks when I'm in other parts of the country.

You snub a cheese steak that isn't on an Amoroso roll.

I rarely eat them, but those Amoroso rolls are divine!

Your parents, brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles all live on the same block.

Hah! I'm the only family member in over 100 miles.

You know who Jim O'Brien is and how he died.

Nope!

You can't imagine lunch without a Tastycake.

They're good, but I go through many days without them. Personally, I prefer Hostess or Dolly Madison.

You're still not sure about Jerry Penacolli.

No clue.

A vacation at the Jersey shore (pronounced "Down the shoore") is better than going to an island (there's more stuff to do, plus you know everybody.)

I rarely go to the shore as I was spoiled by FL Gulf Coast beaches.

You know where to find the Rocky statue.

Yes, unfortunately.

You know that only tourists go to Geno's, Pat's and Jim's for authentic cheese steaks.

Actually, their steaks are pretty good.

You only go if you're drunk and it's 3:00 a.m.

Uh, no -- I'm rarely drunk and if I was I wouldn't be driving anywhere.

You can make a cheese steak and you've never been taught

Nope.

You've never been to the Liberty Bell, or the only time you were there was on a class trip in third grade.

Close -- went with my friend and her son as a chaperone on his field trip.

You know what and where "Boathouse Row" is

Yes, and it's lovely all lit up at Christmas time, reflecting off the river.

You will buy a pretzel from anyone, anywhere without even thinking of where it was - or where his hands have been.

Uh, no.

You can't imagine a breakfast without scrapple.

Never had the stuff, never will.

You don't know what a sub is, but you think they are trying to describe an imitation HOAGIE.

Same difference to me.

You aren't a bandwagon Sixers fan?you loved them when they sucked, and before they had A.I.

Don't really care either way.

You go to The Gallery or South Street in the summer time just to chill.

Nope. I've been to The Gallery when I had to take the train from that station, but I avoid South Street.

You have the pizza place on speed dial.

No, but I have the number memorized.

You actually get these jokes and pass them on to other friends from Philadelphia.

I get most of them but probably won't be passing them on.





4 Comments:

  • At 3:07 PM, Blogger Dianne said…

    Mindy, you are an almost a Philadelphian! LOL
    I thought the reference to cheesesteaks went a little overboard there.
    Jim O'Brien was a weatherman on Channel 6 with Jim Gardner who died in a parachuting accident back in about 1982. His daughter is Perri Gilpin who played Roz on Frasier.
    Jerry Penacolli is now on one of the Evening entertainment shows. People think he's gay and did weird things with gerbils. He use to work as a sports anchor on KYW (I think).
    This is how 'Tastykakes' are suppose to be spelled.
    Boathouse Row can be lit any time of the year and they just refurbished the lighting after 20 yrs. I use to party down in one of the St Joes houses. ; )

     
  • At 3:11 PM, Blogger Dianne said…

    We use to get scrapple for breakfast all the time as kids. I didn't know what was it in back then. I sometimes buy turkey scrapple now. It didn't taste bad, but who wants to eat a weird part from a pig? We also eat cornmeal mush once in a while, but they only sell it in the wintertime because it's perishable.

    One more-we rarely go to NJ to the beach. I do like Cape May. You'll have to check out Ocean City, MD sometime as that's where we go most of the time now.

     
  • At 7:07 PM, Blogger Mindy said…

    I've heard Ocean City, MD is pretty nice. I've been to Ocean City, NJ and just wasn't impressed. I was spoiled by the Clearwater/St. Pete area beaches.

    Yes, the cheesesteak references can be a bit much. Really! There's a lot more going on around here than the Liberty Bell and cheesesteaks.

    I should try the Florida and Small Town USA (for when I lived in NY) to see how they come out.

     
  • At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your obviously not FROM Philly... You just live there....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home