Mindy Memories

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Tuesday and it's downright cold out there!

Quote of the Day from The Princess Bride:


-Tyrone, you know how much I love watching you work, but I've got my country's 500th anneversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder, and Gilder to frame for it. I'm swamped!

___________________________________________________

With the windchill it's 0 degrees outside. Brrrrr! I've been in the mood to wear skirts this week but haven't because I'm not going out in weather like that with only nylons on my legs. The office is warm, but if something happened and I got stuck in the car I'd pay for it, blanket or not.

Well, yesterday on a message board a woman was asking how she can word things better so that she doesn't upset people. That's all well and good, but the problem isn't her wording as much as it's her attitude towards gays, lesbians, interracial relationships, etc. I recall her saying how anyone who is with a black man is "sick, sick, sick." Yeah, I guess that's me -- sickest person in the universe LOL! What an ignorant person. You know what's sick to me? An 18-year-old mentally challenged black man who was beaten up yesterday on the sidewalk by three white guys. They didn't even steal anything from him, just wanted to beat him up. Now, maybe there's a part of the story I don't know about, but I just don't see how anything like that could be justified. The poor guy's face is all swollen and cut up. But no, it's sick that I love a black man and that he loves me. Yeah, right.

_______________________________________________________

Speaking of message boards, there are board wars going on all over the place recently. The board where I'm a moderator is trying to stay out of them but most people know that. Hopefully that means they will keep us out of it, but we'll see. The war is between a few boards and apparently these boards have little wars anyway, but some stitching boards have been dragged into the fight because banning at boards came up and several of the people are all banned from one particular board. Now apparently that board owner is saying she never banned some of the people, etc. etc. It really gets silly. I don't know what's going on at that board because I banned myself from that board because I didn't like the games going on and couldn't stay away on my own. Officially I was never banned from that board but I had been "deleted" from the membership at one time, supposedly by accident. I try very hard to give benefit of the doubt but it does get difficult. I decided it was just easier to make myself scarce.

__________________________________________________

I saw National Treasure again this weekend. Went with Dana and she hadn't seen it and I didn't mind seeing it again. The ending got me to thinking. They find all this stuff, some of which included lost scrolls from the destroyed library at Alexandria. How cool would it be if somebody found a treasure somewhere that held such lost treasures. I'm not just talking gold and such, but things like those scrolls. It would be so cool to find the statue of Athena that was in Rome, or maybe only editions of books that were burned in the 1930s and 1940s, or art that was destroyed during the Soviet Regime. Hey, I can dream, right?

When I worked at Theodore Presser Company they had just opened a bunch of boxes in the warehouse that had been there since the 1940s. They were from Editions Durand, a French music publisher who used us as their sole distributor and representative in the United States. When Hitler was invading France they had sent one copy of each piece of music they published to Presser, figuring if Hitler destroyed everything there would be at least one copy, hopefully safe, in the U.S. that could be used to make more copies. We're talking Debussy, Ravel's Bolero, etc. Interesting stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home