Mindy Memories

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

My apartment is full of tricks

So, I'm going to bed about 11:30 last night and I go into the restroom to brush my teeth and such. Well, the floor is totally flooded! AAAAAHHHH! I start sopping it up and it keeps coming and I figure out that it seems to be coming up from one of the screws holding the toilet to the floor. I think, "That's not good," and turn off the water behind the toilet. It worked for last night but this morning the floor is covered again. I had called our manager last night and she came out and looked it over but told me the maintenance man couldn't get her until 8:30 this morning. Luckily, there's an empty apartment on the thrid floor and the lights are still on so we can use that bathroom. So, I just came from taking a shower and brushing my teeth up there. I can't lock the apartment door while I'm gone so I'm paranoid about somebody coming in and waiting to jump out at me from closet. Oh well, at least the bathroom door locks, which is more than can be said for my own bathroom.

So I'm home from work until this gets fixed. Yeah, great. Here I am trying to get a promotion and all I've proven in the last weeks is that I'm unreliable. A migraine made me miss a day one week, the next week I was on an approved vacation, and last week I was out a day with that miserable cold. Now this. I hope he can fix it relatively quickly so I don't have to make up too much time. I shouldn't have to miss time at work because of this stupid shit at home, but it happens more often than it should.

I don't live in a slum, but a decent suburb of Philly in Delaware County. The average home price here is $147,971, which is about $20k more than the national average and almost $60k more than the state average. So why do I feel like I live in a slum -- kitchen sink backs up, none of the doors completely close (except the front door), now bathroom backs up (lovely), etc. A lot of this I'm sure happens in other places at times, but here it's like none of it is a big deal and instead of fixing the problem the symptom gets temporarily fixed over and over and I'm the one cleaning up the mess. I want out badly, but simply don't have the funds after the hard times last year. I keep telling myself I'm lucky to have a roof over my head, etc. but sometimes it gets to me.

__________________________________

OK, It's 12:41 and John just left a few minutes ago. Poor guy. He almost always ends up having to fix an emergency at my apartment at the worst times -- at least twice during the Labor Day weekend, his busiest time of year and now today when he was supposed to have the day off because he's sick. He's so nice, though. He comes out here, tries a bunch of things and finally ends up taking the toilet off the floor and does whatever it is he did -- I had no interest in watching although I did ask if he needed any help with anything. I think he appreciated the offer, but knows better than to take me up on it LOL! So, now I gotta go clean up the bathroom. By the time I'm done with it, and the carpet in the hallway, it will probably be as clean as the day I moved in, if not cleaner. I guess that's one way to get me to clean the bathroom, huh?

2 Comments:

  • At 7:15 PM, Blogger Faith Ann said…

    I hope you don't have any more apartment disasters...those types of situations are so annoying.

     
  • At 11:40 PM, Blogger Dianne said…

    Ok, when we lived in the Drexelbrook (I am sure you know where that is)the water heater ruptured and started leaking all over the downstairs neighbors closet. That was interesting. Then I was saving brown paper bags for trash, etc., and I pulled one out from the side of the frig and out popped a cockroach family! We also got in trouble for not having rugs, we were newlyweds and had to go get one for the living room and hall. The people below us were a mother and daughter. When the cat's away the mouse played very loudly if you get my drift!
    Stuff happens in houses too. Our roof sprang about 8 leaks before we got a new one. Heavy rains come into the basement. We've slipped off our steps too many times from ice storms. And don't forget the doozie-the power outage from the hurricane back in the late 90s. We didn't have power for 4 days. That's when I got the tick bite that lead to Lyme Disease.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home