Mindy Memories

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Various rants

Not overly ranty, but there are things I've been seeing lately that are annoying and it's better to just get it all out in one shot. Most of it is nothing major, just annoying as I said.

1. I don't get people who think everybody should have kids but then, when they hear about abuse cases say, "They never should have had kids!" Hello! THAT's why you need to leave people alone when they say they don't want them. Yes, I know some change their minds, but many don't and know their own minds. Maybe they have a history of mental or other problems and are afraid to pass them on to children. Maybe they come from an abusive past and are afraid of reverting to the same behavior if they have their own children, and we all know abuse tends to be a vicious cycle. If people say they don't want kids, let that be the end of it and don't keep pushing at them and telling them what freaks they are, then if they have a problem with their kids sit there, wringing your hands while saying, "I don't know why they had kids if they didn't want them."

2. The begging on the stitching boards -- well, one in particular -- is really getting out of hand. Look, we all want stash. Sometimes, we can buy a bunch at once, sometimes we have to buy a little at a time, other times we need to save up for a large project. A lot of us have wish lists posted on our blogs or on boards -- fine. I like the idea and have my own. If somebody decides they want to send me something as a surprise or for my birthday or Christmas, they know what I like. They also know I'll buy something used if they are trying to get rid of it. I love our wish lists and have used them to send items to others once in a while.

However, people posting that they are looking for specific fabric, threads or charts if anyone has them -- well, that's starting to grate on me a bit. If it's POP or hard to find, I can see it, especially if the person offers to pay for it. What I'm seeing, more than not, are people asking for fabric and charts they can buy from the store that houses the board where they are asking (!), or expensive threads (silks usually) that they don't want to pay for. Face it -- if you are going to stitch with silks, it's going to cost more. Silk is not cotton DMC. Also, most silk skeins come with a huge amount of floss so they'll be more expensive just because there's more than in a typical DMC skein. I know people are trying to cut costs, especially with high gas prices, but that's when you buy a little here and there or save up to buy all at once if you want to save on shipping. Sometimes if you wait you can get good deals, even on silks, from various online and brick & mortar shops. You may see somebody on the board selling some materials you can use, and they are selling them cheaply because they are making room for more of their own stash. I just think that so often when a people ask if anyone happens to have this or that, that person is usually looking for a handout. Funny, most times I see this happen it's from people I've never seen post before then. Of course, I don't read every post on that board, but more often than not I'm not the only one who doesn't recognize the person and I think people find out through the grapevine that there are many friendly souls there and are very willing to take advantage of them.

That's most of what's been bugging me lately. I'm sure I'll think of some more stuff later lol! Just felt good to get that off my chest.

5 Comments:

  • At 8:34 PM, Blogger Karen said…

    I'm with you on the children issue. I'm 36 and still undecided and I've felt tremendous pressure because of it. Funny thing, though, some of the craziest, most abusive people out there are parents. Makes you wonder, doesn't it???

     
  • At 12:22 PM, Blogger Wildly Crafty said…

    I am so with you on the kid thing. Hubby and I have decided that kids just aren't for us. I hate the "but why don't you have children?" people, especially when they're relatives so you can't be extra rude to them. :)

     
  • At 6:59 PM, Blogger Faith Ann said…

    I'm late getting caught up... it sounds like you had a wonderful visit with your sister!

    DH and I used to scout out the used bookstores in new places we visited... a vacation with lots of book purchases is a success :)

     
  • At 10:44 AM, Blogger Singular Stitches said…

    *deep breaths* :o)

    I totally understand about the children thing. It seems that a lot of people believe it's a mandate 'You get married and have children...'

    DH and I decided that children aren't for us, either. Some feel it's such a shame because we would be 'such good parents'! Others offer their condolances because they think we can't have children, while others assume that because we don't have children, we hate kids in general.

    You just can't win. It must be me, but I thought it was a private decision.

     
  • At 7:40 PM, Blogger Patty said…

    I'm childfree (not childless, thank you very much) so I understand what you're getting at!

    I'm from Philly too (well, about 10 miles NE of Philly!). Your work is exquisite...I think I'll be getting the Angel of Love myself. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home