Mindy Memories

Monday, March 27, 2006

OK, this is a bit much

I have nothing against pregnant women or mothers -- heck my mom was a "mom" and most of my closest friends are moms. However, I really think this is taking things over the edge.

If I'm not mistaken, the whole idea of the carpool lane is to "reward" people who carpool and therefore release a little less crap into the environment. This does not include a pregnant women. As somebody on one of my boards has already mentioned, if we use this logic of a pregnant woman's "right to count her unborn child as a passenger," shouldn't that also mean that she should pay for two at a buffet table, or pay for two when she goes to a movie? I don't think that will fly, will you?

6 Comments:

  • At 8:24 PM, Blogger Jill in CA said…

    Hmm, interesting point you make about buffets and movies. As nice as it would have been to be able to use the carpool lane while I was pregnant, well, I think I'd have preferred to drive in the regular lane and only pay for one at a buffet.

     
  • At 10:43 PM, Blogger Suz said…

    I'm with you on thinking this is a total abuse of the HOV lane. The purpose of that lane is to remove cars from the road, and last I check, junior can't drive yet.

    I'll have to remember the two for the buffet/movies/whatever in the future though :)

     
  • At 11:59 PM, Blogger Karen said…

    I'm with you, too. I think it's utterly ridiculous to count an unborn child as a passenger that qualifies for the HOV lane. What's the matter with people anyway??

     
  • At 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Um... no offence everybody, but I think you'll find that is a spoof website. As in... a JOKE! I don't know if this one has any particular purpose, but last year there was a competition where competitors had to set up a brand new website and see how many hits they could get in a given amount of time. Setting up something 'controversial' like this always guarantees many hits. This website just reeks of that kind of thing, to me anyway. (I'll happily eat my words if I'm wrong!)

     
  • At 8:03 AM, Blogger Mindy said…

    No offense taken, Melanie :) In fact, I really hope you're right. I'll have to look into it, maybe check out Snopes or see what else I can find out. I never know anymore, as some of the things people really make me wonder.

     
  • At 12:53 PM, Blogger Suz said…

    I'll be happy to see the site is a spoof.. Although with that woman in California (? I might be wrong) and others trying to get their HOV tickets dismissed based on their pregnancy, there's a real basis to it.

    Cheers,

     

Post a Comment

<< Home