Mindy Memories

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Saw an interesting movie last night

I saw "Save the Last Dance" last night. It's a few years old but I had never seen it, thinking it was a typical teeny-bopper movie. I couldn't find anything else that I was in the mood for so I gave it a chance and really liked it. It still had a bit of a teeny-bopper feel to it, but it dealt with some real issues and I thought it was pretty good. For those who haven't seen it, it's about a girl who's a ballet dancer. Her mom gets killed and she has to live with her Dad in inner city Chicago. She ends up having a relationship with a black schoolmate who teaches her to dance hip-hop and she incorporates it into her dance routine for a Juilliard audition.

Anyway, there's a lot more to it than that, but the main thing was the relationship. It showed how he was pretty much ridiculed by many of his fellow male classmates for working hard and wanting to go to college. One boy in particular was smart but getting into lots of trouble, and this kid was trying to make him see that he's smarter than what he was doing, but the kid couldn't see it and ended up going to jail after a drive-by that went wrong. The girl gets a hard time from some black girls because she's coming in and taking one of the few of their men who is isn't in jail, on drugs, or a victim of a drive-by.

Some of the above are stereotypes, but there is some truth to them. I know that people always seem surprised that Tim is a responsible guy. I remember him telling a guy he dropped a $100 bill and the guy picked it up and looked at him like he was mad and didn't even thank him. What the hell is up with that? I also remember trying to have a nice dinner and getting harrassed by a couple of young black women who didn't think a white woman should be with a black man. They gave us a hard time when we left and decided that he was with me because I was a rich white girl with a car -- that was 10 years old with paint coming off and a huge scrape down the side LOL!

So, I think I may actually buy that movie. There aren't a lot of teen movies I like, but this is one of them.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love that movie too. I like Julia Stiles as an actress. And it's indeed not like other teen movies ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home