Mindy Memories

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Musing on Movies

I haven't done any memes for a while but will be using the Musing on Movies meme since it's run by a lovely lady from the stitching boards. I really should be answering the Sunday Brunch for the same reason, and haven't even answered the Stitching Blogger's QOTW for some time now. Oh well, sometimes life gets in the way of blogging, ya know?

Anyway, the first Musing on Movies is

1. What are some of your all-time favorite movies? Why are they your favorites?
I have many, but will try to keep it brief:
The Shawshank Redemption - People think it's odd that I like this movie so much as it's a prison movie and quite violent with lots of language, but to me it's about hope. I also really like Andy's character, as well as his friends. There is also some great humor in the movie, as well as heart.
The Lord of the Rings - I used to call it a trilogy but don't anymore since it really wasn't meant as a trilogy (the book, I mean) but one very large book that had to be broken into three books due to the cost of printing at the time. Anyway, I never thought I would be into fantasy, but this feels more like history than fantasy. I also love the music and the detail put into the sets and every detail of the movies. Simply amazing.
The Usual Suspects - Again, violent and lots of language, but I *heart* Kevin Spacey and the twist at the end of this is awesome! Made me turn around and watch it all over again after I watched it the first time.
Singin' in the Rain - Love the music and the humor.

2. What are some of your *least* favorite movies? Why don't you like them?
Bladerunner - I like most sci-fi, but this movie drives me crazy. I think it's mostly the music - I can't stand that new agey Tangerine Dream music and it ruins the movie for me. I don't know though, some of the other stuff is a bit much for me, too, and I've never been able to watch it all the way through.
Gummo - Don't know if anyone has ever seen this. I watched 20 minutes of it and had to turn it off. Luckily it was for free since it was a screener from the video store where I used to work. It was about a boy growing up in a very low-income area, and that's all I can remember - that and the kid wearing a weird bunny costume of some sort. My video store manager said, "Well, either it's one of the worst movies ever made or the best. Guess it depends on your perspective." I say worst.
The Matrix movies - Saw the first one in the theater and thought it was kinda cool, then bought it and saw it once. I've never watched it again, although Tim does. The idea was different but I just didn't get into it like a lot of people did, probably because Keanu Reeves just doesn't do it for me. Then I saw the second one in the theater and about gagged. Tried to watch the third one on cable but fell alseep and am not interested enough to watch it again. They should have left it at one movie.

Now for the current entry:

1. What is the best small-to-big screen adaptation you have seen? I thought The X-Files Movie was pretty good. I felt that if you followed the series it was great but you could also figure things out if you only saw the movie. I also loved The MST3K Movie that made fun of This Island Earth. Let's see...Can't think of any others I really liked off the top of my head. I am interested in seeing the movie they have made based on the Firefly series, though. Oh - forgot about Star Trek! I liked most of the movies, except #1 and #5. I liked the movies better than the series, at least for the original.

2. What is the worst? I really don't watch a lot of them, but I do know there is NO WAY IN HELL I'm watching The Dukes of Hazaard Movie! From the previews, it looks like they made Bo and Luke out as totally ignorant idiots (what people usually believe about country boys/farmers, which ticks me off) and they make Daisy Duke look like a slut. For one, she was a bombshell brunette when everything revolved around Farah Fawcett, so why replace her with a blonde? Also, Daisy may have worn those short shorts but I never saw her wear a barely-there bikini. Sorry, just won't work for me.

3. Is there one that you liked, even if it didn't follow the original series at all? I don' know. I honestly can't think of a lot of tv-to-movie movies that I liked. I'm sure there are more, they just aren't coming to me at the moment.

4. What TV show deserves the "big screen" treatment? Who would you cast? (We'll cover television shows based on movies another time.) Hmmm... maybe a movie version of CSI would be cool, with the same cast, maybe tying a story line into all three the way the first CSI: Miami was intertwined with CSI.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:26 PM, Blogger Erin (moviemuse) said…

    Ah yes, the X-Files movie. I had completely forgotten that one, but I did see it. LOL Even the Movie Muse forgets from time to time. Thanks for the reminder, and thanks for doing the meme! :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home