Mindy Memories

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

My name is Mindy, and I'm an addict.

I'm addicted to popcorn -- not microwave or movie, but bagged. I got off that SmartFood white cheddar popcorn (you know, the kind in the black bag). Unfortunately, in order to get off the white cheddar I got hooked on Herr's butter popcorn. It's cheaper and a little better healthwise, but still not great and probably has a lot more sodium than I need. Is that like drinking beer to get off of drinking too much whiskey? Jeesh! I can just sit there and eat the stuff and not realize how much I'm eating. I'm trying to stitch more to keep my hands busy, but they must be putting something in that popcorn!

I need to start replacing popcorn with apples. I found cut apple slices in the market a few days ago and like them quite a bit. It probably sounds stupid to buy them, since they are more expensive, but they are great at work. I can't eat an apple the normal way because of my jaw, so I always end up cutting them up. Often apples at work rarely get eaten because I'm working and won't take the time to cut them up, especially if I can't find a decent knife. This way, I can just open a bag and voila! they they are. I tried cutting them at home but of course that didn't work because they turn brown so quickly.

So, that's my addiction. I wonder if there's a 12-step program out there for popcorn addiction.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:36 PM, Blogger Dianne said…

    LOL-Brian is on that bagged popcorn kick along with Perrier water! I can't eat a lot of popcorn, but I like it too.
    You definitely need to get an upright apple peeler with a crank handler. It even cores them for you. I had a metal one that I wore out as I used it for potato peeling too. I replaced it with a cheesy plastic one. It does the trick though.

     
  • At 3:09 PM, Blogger Christine said…

    I DO love that Smartfood...my Mitty the Kitty loves it, too, and whenever I am having some, he comes and begs. He loves cheese, so I give him one kernel or so.

    As for the apple slices...after you slice them, place them in a bowl with *acidulated water*...which is basically water with some lemon juice thrown in. The acid from the lemon juice will keep the apple slices from turning brown.

    So...try slicing the apples at home the night before, and putting them in a Tupperware sort of container with the acidulated water...an then take that to work the next day. You will also save a ton of money doing this, as apples are in season and dirt cheap right now.

    Putting the apple slices in plain water will work, too, as long as you can keep them refrigerated...do you have a fridge at work? Otherwise, a little lemon juice in the water will do the trick!

     
  • At 6:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maybe you are just joking around about this issue...But, about a year ago, I started eating popcorn.
    My whole life, I hated popcorn. Now I'm addicted! I can eat it for
    breakfast, lunch and dinner! I want it when I get up and all through the day. What changed? I am on a "fast" right now, trying to break the habit. I am looking online for some explanation.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home