Mindy Memories

Monday, August 01, 2005

PG13 and PG are NOT the same

I've been seeing a lot of griping about the new Bad News Bears movie, mostly having to do with taking small children to see it. Now, I've seen horrible reviews about this movie and all have mentioned the language/rudeness factor. I don't have kids and I picked up on this, so why have so many parents just ASSumed that since it's not rated R that it's OK for all kids to see, then complain about the language?

Just saw this on a website, and I think this is what it says in the previews for the movie:

MPAA Rating: PG-13 for rude behavior, language throughout, some sexuality and thematic elements.

I mean, these days they not only rate the movies but they tell you why it's rated this way. People still will ignore, then complain that the movie isn't suitable for their 6-year-old. Granted, I have no desire to see this movie because it just doesn't look interesting to me at all, but don't people even try to check these things out before they assume a PG-13 movie is OK for their kids? I'm a huge LOTR fan, but I doubt I would have allowed a young child to see it because it has some scary elements. Heck, I usually skip the Shelob scene and I'm not even scared of spiders, usually LOL!


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


As you can see, there is a difference between PG and PG13 -- that's why the PG13 rating was created to begin with. It's for movies that are between PG and R because there didn't used to be any in-between rating. If people want to take their young kids to a PG13 movie and the kids can handle it, it's no biggie to me. I just get sick of all this "it wasn't suitable for my 6-year-old" when it only takes a few minutes to go online and check out the rating and read a few reviews.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home