Mindy Memories

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

So a menopausal person isn't a woman?

There's a new bill making it's rounds in Congress about abortion. I'm not going to get into the actual abortion part of it because I have definite opinions about it and don't feel like inviting trolls to my blog. However, this part REALLY bothers me. It's in the "definitions" secition of the bill , #S.51:

(6) WOMAN- The term `woman' means a female human being who is capable of becoming pregnant, whether or not she has reached the age of majority.

So, I guess any woman who has had her uterus, ovaries or any other reproductive organs removed due to say, oh -- cancer or something -- is not really a woman anymore. Is she a man? I don't think so. Maybe she's just an "unwoman" then. Yes, that's much better. It also means that a 12-year-old who is menstruating is more of a woman than the "unwoman" already mentioned. This also goes for a woman who has had a tubal ligation. Of course, we childfree women already have been told that we aren't real women because we choose not to have children, whether or not we have our reproductive organs or not, so I guess some of us are a little used to it. I just REALLY don't like where this is going. I'm sure I sound paranoid, but will this help set up options in the future so that only "real women" get aid or proper health treatment? Oh yeah, that already happens! I can't tell you how many times I was told I should get pregnant when I was out of work because if you are pregnant of have a child you can get a bunch of aid and all sorts of help. If you are just a person you can't get much of anything because you aren't deemed worthy, I guess.

One last bit: I'm sure the definition should read "age of maturity" not "age of majority." I checked two different sites and this is the way it's worded. I think Congress needs a good spellchecker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home