Mindy Memories

Monday, December 13, 2004

It's Monday morning

Well, I ended up posting to that Mirabilia thread again. I probably shouldn't have, but I don't think my post was overly personal and it wasn't insulting. I just got irritated at the implication that only "serious artists" care about copyright and us lowly "stitchers" don't. I'm not sure if it was intended to read in such a manner, but that's how I read it. My response:

You know, I've really been trying to give benefit of the doubt and not respond again, but this :

"Generally speaking, the artists (professional and non-professional) in this audience consider plagiarism of copyrighted or non-copyrighted material an extremely serious ethical offense. Others, who just enjoy stitching, see no problem with it. That’s fine – this is yet another conclusion to be drawn by each individual."

is out of line. I'm a stitcher. I'm also a person who makes a living creating advertising and marketing materials and worked in the print music business for 10 years. I highly respect copyright issues and the right of artists to defend them, since my slight paycheck depended on people not photocopying the sheet music we published.However, I'm not going to sit here and assume Nora sat down and outlined that fairy. I know that's what you want me to do, but I won't. I've also defended MLI's to defend her copyright. However, that doesn't mean that all angels in flowing gowns are infinging on her copyright. Because some of us don't agree with you does not mean that we do not take it seriously. Just because you see this as black and white doesn't mean everybody does, and it doesn't make either of us right or wrong. OK, I swear I'm not posting to this any more LOL! If anybody wants to they can send email to my EZ Inbox.



For the record, I don't believe the OP and Phoenix are the same person. The problem arises when one person comes out of nowhere who is not even a stitcher and starts posting on these threads assuming a lot about people. She has every right to post where she wants, but the nature of any board I've ever gone to, stitching or not, is to get rankled when a new person comes it and starts telling them they are wrong and that they don't care about copyright, etc. I'm glad it was locked, but it was a shame that it got as personal as it did. For a minute I felt guilty for posting on that thread again, but you know what? I'm not going to feel that way. I didn't post anything rude or nasty, so why should I feel guilty? I'm tired of automatically feeling guilty about every little thing, damn it! There are people out there who give their opinions and hurt people left and right with their stinging words, so why do I feel bad when I give my opinion in what I think is a non-aggressive manner?

So, yesterday I avoided the boards completely and worked on Vermillion's Sweet Dreams Santa and Mirabilia's Christmas Flourishes. Forgot if I mentioned it but I had gottin in 10 hours over the last couple days on Rose Arbour and wanted to move on to others. Sweet Dreams Santa is very cute and pretty, but since it's a Vermillion it will take me longer than I think because of the partial stitches, small blocks of color (as opposed to the larger Mirabilia blocks I'm used to) and backstitching. I really like many of the Vermillion designs, though. It didn't help that I started the border and had to rip it all out because of a counting error. Glad I checked when I did or it would have been much worse.

As for Christmas Flourishes, I feel like I've been working on her forever but am only halfway done. I'm not bored with her or anything, but she is definitely taking longer than I thought she would. I think it's because she has so much going on and there are so many colors in her, making for lots of color changes and more smaller blocks of color as opposed to the larger ones I just mentioned. I keep thinking about how quickly Titania stitched up because of the large color blocks. Very different situation with Flourishes.

I'm currently watching a documentary about the old airships, mainly Zeppelins. I think it would be so cool to have gone up in one of those beautiful ships. It must have been so much different than today's modern airplane, I think. Of course, I wouldn't have wanted to be on The Hindenburg, but that goes without saying. I've always thought it sad that some of the most beautiful Zeppelins were used to paper the countryside with Nazi propaganda and were stuck with a huge swatsika on them. What a sin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home