Mindy Memories

Saturday, November 27, 2004

Spark blogging question

If a terrible storm was rumbling toward your home, and you had five minutes to find and save a single object before being forced to evacuate, what would you take?

Let's presume your family and pets will all escape safely, and that you won't lose all your money, or other basic items of financial worth. What object, one that you can hold in your hand, could you not bear to lose? What item in your posession is priceless?

Describe the object, physically of course, but also its history. Its sentimental value? Where did it come from? Why did you save it? What would you tell someone who asked about it?


The first thing that came to mind is my diamond necklace. It's on a beautiful gold chain and the diamond itself is on a horseshoe-shaped charm. The reason I would save this is not just because it's my only real diamond, but for it's sentimental worth. It's one of two diamonds that were on my great-grandmother's wedding ring. When she died the ring secretly sent to my grandmother as she was the only one who wasn't fighting for it. The person who inherited the jewelry gave it to her to give my sister and I one diamond each. My mom had them both made into beautiful settings on a gold chain. I didn't know my real great-grandmother because she died in the TB outbreak in the 1920s. She was my grandmother's and one uncle's real mother. I did know my step-great-grandmother, but she never treated my grandmother and one uncle as well as she treated her own kids. If you look at a picture of my real great-grandmother you can see how much she and my sister look alike, right down the the typical tilting of the head when their pictures are taken :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home