Mindy Memories

Saturday, November 13, 2004

Grocery store success!

I went out this morning to run a few errands and stopped by the store to pick up a few things until I get paid and get my usual groceries. Thank goodness I had cooked some turkey for when I got back because I was soooo tempted to stop by McDonald's for a lunch. I don't often get fast food, but I like to once in a while. I figured I could just pick up a sundae or something. Luckily, I knew I had turkey at home to eat for lunch and I picked up some graham crackers and Cool Whip Free so I could make my own 1 point ice cream sandwich. Yummy!

I don't know what's going on around here but there have been sirens and emergency vehicles all over the place. It's worse today than most Saturdays. Of course, the road here connects a bunch of larger roads so sometimes it seems like every emergency vehicle around uses it to get to where they are going. I live right next to the road and it took some getting used to when I first moved here. When I'm on the phone with my brother he always wonders where I live (he hasn't visited me here) because he hears all the sirens. I assure him I'm in a good area, not in some of the less reputable places around here.

Today is pretty, but that wind is cold. The sun is out and a lot of leaves are on the ground but many are still on the trees and beautiful in the sunlight. It's 44 but when that wind blows it's a lot lower. It reminds me of when I was young and still living in NY. This is the type of weekend weather that would find my family out on some of our land chopping wood for our woodburning stove, and for my Grandmother's stove. My dad would get the chainsaw to cut the logs, then the ax to quarter the small logs. The rest of us would take the wood to the trailer, then we'd get home and take the wood from the trailer to the large but organized wood pile by the house. We had a pre-Civil War house that had a wood box under a window by the fireplace. In the warmer months it was a bench. So, we'd bring in wood from the pile every few nights. I hated wood duty, but it helped a lot with the heating bill. My dad once had a dream that he had to truck wood from Upstate NY to my mom's brother's place in Alaska LOL!

So, for all the problems Tim and I have had in the past 1.5 years, I'm thankful that on a beautiful but cold day I have a tiny yet warm apartment to come home to and a cozy kitty waiting for me on the blanket on the couch. I'd be thankful to come home to Tim, but he's not here but at his mom's putting together a futon for her. I'm thankful for him, too :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home