Mindy Memories

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Learn something new every day

Got a few minutes here, but gotta get to work soon. I came in early to get extra work done, not blog. :)

Anyway, I didn't realize until yesterday that it's ASSumed that if a person at work asks a person of the opposite sex to lunch, they must be having an affair -- or at least, the person who did the asking "wants" the other person, if you catch my drift.

Apparently, I'm a very immoral person who intends to take away husbands from their wives because I have lunch with male coworkers at times. Granted, most of the people where I currently work are female, but in other places I've gone to lunch with a male co-worker. It was just the two of us, nobody else -- the horror!

Look, if you don't feel comfortable with that situation, fine. I guess, then, you need to be sure that your spouse doesn't get a job where he/she may need to travel with members of the opposite sex or have lunch meetings with a member of the opposite sex with nobody else around. I can't imagine it going over well with a bossman if somebody says they can't do their job because they have to eat or travel alone with a person of the opposite sex.

Maybe I'm just different. You know, Tim has hardly been home except for weekends for the past few months, helping his mom recover from her knee replacement surgery. This may be a huge shock to some people, but I TRUST HIM! I don't sit around and stew, calling him every second to be sure that's where he is. Another shocker -- sometimes he even goes to a bar and there are women there and he (gulp) talks to them! WHATEVER WILL I DO? Of course, he tells me that some drunk bimbo made a pass at him and laughs about it.

I'm sure there are people who think that, by "allowing" him to do what he wants, that I'm opening him up to temptation and that he'll cheat on me. Well, could be, but that's not my style and I'm more apt to trust my own gut and instincts than someone who doesn't know me. I'm also more willing to trust TIM than someone who doesn't really know me. I sometimes wonder how people live if they are constantly on the lookout for somebody trying to "steal" their spouse? I couldn't live like that, always wondering, watching every move he makes and that others make around him. What's the point of being in a relationship where you can't trust the person?

If part of your relationship is that your spouse feels the same way as you and doesn't put himself into any sort of lunch/travel/whatever with the opposite sex, great. It means you are both on the same wavelength and have the same thoughts about issues that are important to you. You trust each other to act a certain way. Well, Tim and I trust each other to also act a certain way, too.

Then again, I'm not married so my opinion doesn't matter. We don't have that little piece of paper that says we're legally married, therefore there's absolutely no committment, so it's just ASSumed one of us will cheat anyway, right?

Yeesh!

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 11:42 AM, Blogger Terri said…

    How do you think I feel? My husband goes off to foreign countries and sleeps with women in the same tent! And he doesn't wear his wedding band! And he's been doing this for 25 years!

     
  • At 1:47 PM, Blogger Mindy said…

    LOL! Good point!

    The wedding ring thing bothers me, too. I know a lot of people who get suspicious if you say your husband doesn't wear his wedding ring all the time. Well, my uncle lost a finger because he worked in a warehouse with machinery and when he went back to work after getting married it got caught and his finger came off with the ring. Places like that often don't allow jewelry of any sort, and rightly so.

    Then again, Tim and I aren't married and we just sleep around and do whatever we want since we aren't technically married. Yeah, right. :)

     
  • At 3:49 PM, Blogger Amy said…

    Uh oh! If this is true, then I'm in trouble. My husband is having affairs on me right and left! He goes to lunch with women from the office all the time. Everyone must think he's into orgies *giggle*

     
  • At 4:31 PM, Blogger Kelley said…

    My hubby doesn't wear his ring either, which means absolutely nothing. He got tired of it making his skin peel off. Eventually we will go and get it dipped in that special coating, but it's just not high on the priority list.

    You are so right Mindy about trust. DH and I trust each other totally. Having a fling would not even cross his mind, I'm sure of it. He doesn't even notice if a waitress or sales clerk flirts with him That doesn't happen all the time, but when it does I find it highly amusing.

     
  • At 8:17 PM, Blogger Faith Ann said…

    How ridiculous is that?! My husband goes out for lunch and has gone on business trips with women... and since the majority of my coworkers have always been men, I have too. Means nothing!

     
  • At 9:21 PM, Blogger Suz said…

    I almost never wear my wedding ring, which freaks people out. Almost as much as the fact that I forbade DH to waste money on an engagement ring.

    I must be the worst wife ever. I'm clearly having an affair with a prof (he has a "reputation" - what? he's really cool!) that I talk/eat with, and I allow my husband to run around with females. Egads! teh horror!

    His friends question the fact that he "allows" (direct quote) me to go on trips to see my family and/or friends without him.

    I want to smack all of those asshats, but I mostly feel sorry for them.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home