Mindy Memories

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Decided what car I want to buy

After looking at some Consumer Reports information and pricing online, I've decided that I'm going to get either a new or used Scion Xa, which is the cute little hatchback. The base model comes with almost everything I really want, and I'll get the additional side airbags on a new model, and hopefully on a used model if available. I'd love to get one with a sunroof, but that's only if I get a really fantastic deal. I'll miss not having it, but it's not the end of the world -- I'd rather have the airbags and a CD player. I figure I'm also better with an automatic. I learned how to drive on a manual transmission, and Tim says I drive a manual better than he does :) but I'm hard on a clutch and around here I'd go crazy doing nothing but shifting and downshifting.

I don't plan on buying one for a few months so that I have time to save up a decent down payment, and I'll start by going to the place down the street a ways. I would love to get the dark red one, but it really depends on what type of deal I can get. The color really isn't that important, although I'd like to avoid another white car if I can. My big ol' Buick was white and it seemed that, even as big as it was, people didn't see it and ran into me often. I've heard that silver cars are also hard to see.

I feel really good about my decision. I have some ideas for a backup in case, for some reason, I can't get a Scion -- Honda Civics, some years of the Ford Focus, and the 2004 Dodge Neon are also rated pretty high. But I really want that little Scion. I miss driving a small car, and this one tested as pretty safe, especially with those side airbags.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At 7:16 PM, Blogger PatZ said…

    your backups should drop the Ford and Neon cause those two cars have bad mechanical records and if you look at the resale value of them, they're worth pretty much nothing two years after you buy them whereas an import like a Honda or Toyota will hold it's value twice or three times as long.
    Civic, Yaris, or Sentra would be the way to go.

     
  • At 7:31 PM, Blogger Mindy said…

    Thanks. I originally was thinking about a Yaris, but I hesitate to buy a car the first year it's out. I forgot about the Sentra, that's one that is on my list as well. The others had one or two good years that were better than others, but I agree that their resale value isn't much.

     
  • At 11:26 PM, Blogger Dianne said…

    Don't tell my family Fords are bad, we all own them- here we have 2 Tauruses and a Windstar. My brother is a mechanic and owns all Fords. Foreign car parts may be harder to obtain.

     
  • At 1:13 AM, Blogger Suz said…

    We're looking at getting a "new" car soon. Funny enough, I want another corolla and DH is iffy about it. I also mention the Yaris, and he refuses because it's "too small" for down here (and yet he counter-offers the Corolla suggestion with a Mini?). However, DH was trapped at the Toyota dealership getting my old corolla tuned up and wandered around the place. Mr. Manly Car Man LOVES the Scions and is trying to convince me :)

    I would suggest sticking with Honda or Toyota/Scion because the resale values are so much better. We may go new because around here, used are actually fetching higher prices than new!

     
  • At 6:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    First visit, and I'd like to put my views on car colours to you:

    Red, dangerous, people cannot focus on red, and will drive out in front of you.

    White, better

    Yellow, best, apparently peripheral vision picks this colour up first.

    I drive a champagne colour Jetta, with the lights on all the time, it is almost invisible against the road!

    I see you are stitching Stretch - he is the most beautiful finish I have done!! He now lives in Ireland. You will love him when he is done, he is amazing!! Once I got he hang of the border it went swimmingly (and I tend to not stitch on evenweave). I have another piece of fabric ready to do him again. Hmm, idea!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home