Mindy Memories

Friday, May 05, 2006

A real update

Now that I have more time I can make a proper post :)

I got an update on Sean's cousin, whose viewing was Tuesday. The first report was not accurate, which I would think happens often. Turns out she OD'd on heroin. The weird thing is that she was deathly afraid of needles. Apparently, she would smoke pot and snort coke, but never did anything with needles. I suppose there's a first time for everything, but it seems odd. Plus she had been dragged to the place they found her and had been robbed of all her money and jewelry. Oh, she's also right-handed and the needle mark was on her right arm. Now, it's possible she could have asked this guy to inject her, but I keep coming back to "deathly afraid of needles." I don't know what to think, but it's pretty fishy. Sean seems to be doing pretty well, according to his mom -- thank goodness.

I got some stitching in today for the first time in about a week. Now that I've read all the Harry Potter books available, I seem to be back to stitching. I'm close to finishing the DMC stitching on Mirabilia's Deepest Love so really need to order the Kreinik and beads soon.

As for reading, I'm back into my Civil War phase. I've always been a Civil War buff, and working next door to Barnes & Noble has allowed me to pursue it a bit more, although I need to catch my reading up to my buying. I bought Killer Angels which I've heard is superb. I'm one of those who is very interested in the Gettysburg battle, and have been since I visited the battlefield when I was about nine years old. It really made an impact on me. I also bought a book about the last days of the war, written by Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain -- I can't recall the name of the book at the moment. I'm currently reading a book about Lincoln and the Gettysburg Address and how it changed the course of American history. It's interesting to see how the address was compared to the religious, philosophical and political thoughts of the time, and also how it used ideas from the ancient Greeks. I'm not quite halfway through it yet -- it's a bit more of a heavy read than Harry Potter :)

1 Comments:

  • At 5:30 PM, Blogger Terri said…

    My "great" uncle was USGrant and I can remember reading about Chamberlain when studying Grant's history. Most people don't remember that Lee's army surrendered their weapons and colors to Chamberlain, they just remember that the war ended. I love Civil War stuff and have always felt I'd enjoy teaching Civil War History.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home