Mindy Memories

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Gimme a break!

There's currently a conversation on a board I visit about potty-mouth kids. Granted, I don't care for it either. My parents didn't talk that way and neither did we, and I rarely do now.

However, it irritates the heck out of me when everything is brought back to religion. There's a huge assumption out there that only people with religion (aka the only denomination of Christianity they believe in) are the decent ones and that these kids don't have any in their lives. Good grief! Some of the best cussers I knew growing up went to church a few days a week. I only went on Sundays so I guess I wasn't as good as them, huh? Whatever.

There are a lot of people out there who are aethiest, agnostic, pagan, etc. who are very decent people. It has nothing to do with religion but who they are and how they were raised -- to be good and decent people. Christianity doesn't have the monopoly on creating good people, and frankly quite a few I know are pretty darn intolerant and rude. That can be said of all religions, for that matter. In the end, it really has nothing to do with the faith one follows but who they are at their core.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:21 AM, Blogger Dianne said…

    Going to church for some people is an 'obligation'. What they say and do outside on church is completely different. So you go to church, but you cuss and smoke too? You'd think church would 'rub off' on people to help them to live a good, clean life. I go to church and occasionally out pops a bad word from my mouth. But I feel guilty about it. Guilt is a big thing being a Catholic.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home