Mindy Memories

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Stitching Questions

Now that I got THAT off my chest, I'll move on to some stitching blog questions from the past month.

What is your opinion of Internet "freebies?"
I think they're great! I have quite a few from TW, Mirabilia and L&L, as well as others from various designers. It allows us to try out a certain style without buying spending the money. I think it's very decent and smart for designers to do this as it's a way to get people hooked. My only problem with them is how there are always people who have to ruin it and sell them as kits or sell just the chart on eBay to make a few bucks. Some designers have stopped making freebies available online, a few others went for some time without any because they felt very betrayed by the customers who did this.

Given the option, would you rather buy a chart and get the material and floss together yourself, or buy a pre-packed kit?
Nine times out of ten I'd rather buy everything separately. Some kits are OK, like I have a TW kit that came with evenweave and has been pretty decent. Most kits have substandard floss and fabric, and if you run out of floss you have to contact the distributor because you usually cannot exactly match it to your DMC or Anchor floss. When I buy my first Chatelaine I plan on buying one of those kits containing everything but the fabric, then I'll choose the fabric. It's easier than separately ordering all the beads and specialty floss.

How many strands of floss to you prefer to stitch with? Why?
Usually two. I like the look of two. Some people prefer three but to me it's too thick and I don't like stitching with that extra strand. If I were to do over-one stitching, I'd probably stitch with one strand. Since I rarely stitch on anything bigger than over-two on 28ct., two strands works well for me.

How do you deal a "stitching slump?"
That's when I take the time to indulge my other interests or learn a new one. I re-taught myself how to knit during my last one. I enjoyed it, but it's not something I can do a lot because it makes my hands fall alseep. I also tend to get reading done during those times, and last time I read McCollough's The Thorn Birds and Tolkien's The Silmarillion, which I will have to read a few more times in order to allow everything to really sink in. I also use that time to sometimes make melt & pour soaps and getl candles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home