Mindy Memories

Friday, September 03, 2004

Paranoia surrounding terrorism

I don't know what got me thinking about this incident today, but it's been on my mind. This happened right after they started finding Antrax in the mail.

I was working with an older lady (in her late 50s at the time) and we were the only ones in our office. We worked in a three-story building with several offices. Well, she was looking out the window and called me over to look at something. I looked out the window and she pointed to a red stationwagon with a bumper sticker that read, "I (heart) Allah." That bumper sticker really bothered her and she didn't like it. I then said, "Well, I'm more worried about the HazMat truck, the police cars, fire truck and ambulance down in the parking lot." She replies, "Oh! I didn't even see those!" She had to look past all those emergency vehicles to see that bumper sticker. It just struck me as odd.

Ends up somebody had spilled some powder in the downstairs ladies room and the person who found it called 911. Everything was fine, and I think it was smart for the person to call 911. It just amazed me that my coworker was so bothered by a Muslim bumper sticker that she failed to see all those emergency vehicles.

Don't know what my point is, but I've been thinking about it today and wanted to get it down on paper. Would she have had the same reaction if it had said, "I (heart) Jesus" or "I (heart) Buddha"? I doubt it. Yes, the people who have attacked us in the past are Muslim. That does not mean that all Muslims want us dead. I happen to personally know some Muslims who fled the Mid East precisely to get away from people like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home