Mindy Memories

Monday, September 06, 2004

How egalitarian do you think you are?

Where do you think your views are still skewed and why?

Definition of egalitarian: Affirming, promoting, or characterized by belief in equal political, economic, social, and civil rights for all people.

I think I'm about as egalitarian as the next person. I don't care about race, politics, religion etc. The only time those things bother me is when somebody is trying to convert me to their way of thinking. I tend to be stubborn and will hear a person out but it's doubtful they will change my mind. When my mind is made up about something there is usually a good reason.

That being said, I think the areas in which I'm not as egalitarian is when it comes to education. I don't mean formal education, but more about the way people talk and act. I think it's because I come from a country background and not much money, yet my mother raised us with manners, to take school seriously, to learn about music and other arts, and to treat people as we would like ourselves to be treated. Sometimes I find that I feel a bit of contempt for people who can't put a sentence together or who make absolutely no sense when they speak or write. It's something I'm working on, believe me. Sometimes these people don't speak English as a first language and I'm OK with that because I figure that I can't speak their language half as well as they can speak mine. However, it really bothers me when I hear/see grown people say "I seen" or something similar. When somebody is trying to make a point and their grammar and sentence structure is completely off, I find that it colors the way I think about that person and whatever point that person is trying to make is lost on me. It's something I'm trying to get past, but it's not easy. I guess I hate to see people using the fact that they are poor as an excuse, since we grew up with little money but my parents didn't raise us to "act poor," if that makes sense.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:50 AM, Blogger Dianne said…

    I was basically raised the same way as you were Mindy, but by my mom and grandmom. They taught me to make a nice appearance, corrected me if I used incorrect grammar and taught me to appreciate art and music. They weren't perfect in some ways, but in general I think I turned out pretty good and so did my brothers, esp not having a father around most of the time.

     
  • At 12:46 PM, Blogger Erica said…

    Mindy, I just spent some time getting caught up on your blog...turns out I had it blogrolled incorrectly on my site. It's fixed now...I'm sorry to hear you had such a tough week! That headache sounds like a real booger. I hope you're feeling better now!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home