Mindy Memories

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

No Matt, this is NOT a typical family

Interesting. I'm watching The Today Show this morning and they're talking about how much to tell your kids about the economy and how it's affecting the family. What got me is the main family they focused on mentioned not going out to eat or to the movies anymore and spending less on groceries. I'm assuming they are spending less on groceries by eating more rice and beans type stuff than steak, don't really now -- the kids are eating. Now, how many families with less than 7 kids (this family had 7) have been doing without movies or going out to dinner for years?

I hate it when they focus on families that, IMHO, do NOT reflect the reality for many families. How about focusing on the families or couples who make just over minimum wage and are trying to better themselves by getting an education but find it almost impossible when they can barely pay rent and put food on the table? I guess that's not stylish enough for The Today Show, but it seems they ALWAYS focus on families that really don't represent what many families are truly going through.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • At 10:15 AM, Blogger Rachel S-H said…

    It could have been worse. They could have put the Duggars on.

     
  • At 10:24 AM, Blogger Mindy said…

    LOL, good point.

     
  • At 8:17 PM, Blogger Darla said…

    Yeah, there's a good example of responsible behavior! Crank 'em out and let the kids raise the kids.

     
  • At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    They already had the Duggars on a few months ago where Mama Michelle announced #18 was in the oven. (they showcased this on their own TLC show)
    I guess you can rent movies or get them free from the library. Also go to BJs Whole Sale Club and buy in bulk to save money that way without eating out. I still see lots of people with families eating out. I go nuts if I don't get at least one dinner out or take out a week that I don't have to cook. I need the break.

     
  • At 5:29 AM, Blogger Chiloe said…

    What about this facebook
    thing that appear on my google reader?

     
  • At 8:48 PM, Blogger stitchin schoolmarm said…

    I haven't been to your blog in awhile, so I am catching up. Amen to your commenters views on the Duggar's. You do know that there will soon be another litter of them started since the oldest is getting married. Talk about overpopulation!
    Tammy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home