Mindy Memories

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Made my day!

A woman at work today was telling me how much of a difference she's seen in me over the last year. I mentioned to year about a year ago when I started dressing better and why -- sick of waiting to lose weight to do things, figured I'd just deal with what I have. She asked me where I get my stuff and I told her a few places (Kohls, Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug, sometimes Dress Barn and Talbots). I also told her I get a lot of inspiration from What Not to Wear and she said they should hire me as a consultant. Oh. My. Gosh. I can't tell you how good that made me feel, even though I'm sure they could find a lot to change, lol. She said I inspired her to dress better.

And get this -- she's not even plus-sized like me. I can't believe that a non-plus-sized woman asked ME about style advice! This coming from the girl who wore nothing but t-shirts and jeans to work for years and then wore too-baggy dressier clothes to her next job where the dress code was business casual.

I am just floored, in a good way. :)

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At 10:00 PM, Blogger Suz said…

    That's a huge compliment and I'm so thrilled for you.

    One of the best dressed women I've ever seen was one of our work studies. She was a few inches shorter and much heavier, but that girl could outdress any of us. I always wonder if "average" or skinny people don't dress as well because they don't feel the need to have to pay attention to their bodies and dress to look their best?

    By the by, I always refused to go near a Dress Barn because of the name. I got desperate one day and I think half of my clothes (shirts at least) are from there!

     
  • At 7:15 AM, Blogger Chiloe said…

    I also sometimes think that some heavier women dress better than i do because I feel I'm too fat ;)

     
  • At 8:03 AM, Blogger Cathy said…

    I always envy the way my friend Paula dresses, and she's larger than me. I think the key to dressing well is dressing in the right size, no matter what your size. I learned recently that dressing baggy only makes anyone look bigger. I also learned for myself that I should always shop petites because I'm so short.

     
  • At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How nice Mindy! I love 'What Not to Wear' too. I see Clinton Kelly is in a Macy's commercial.
    Now, when are you going to start modeling these swanky clothes for us?
    BTW, a contact of mine on Flickr, a skinny lil' twang, has her husband take a photo of her outfit each day. I think her name is Fennelgrl of Fennelgirl. It's interesting. She also swaps with other people.

     
  • At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's awesome! I know women of all shapes and sizes. There are two other parents at my son's school that particularly stand out in my mind; both are especially heavy. One takes the time to dress nicely, do her hair and makeup, etc. The other clearly doesn't care and I always see her in sweatpants. I often see the mom who's heavy but dressed nicely and think, you know, she's really got style. I applaud you for taking the initiative to show pride in yourself and wear nice clothes *now* instead of "when I lose x amount of weight". I really need to get myself out of that mindset. Someone on one of the bb's has a quote "life is what's happening now, not when you lose 20 pounds", or something like that, and I think people would be happier if they could look at life that way!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home