Mindy Memories

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Wellness program at work

So, we've started a wellness program at work. We actually started it at some of the other locations and I took part in it on a limited basis earlier this spring. Now we've started it at the headquarters, which is where I work. It's not too complicated -- counting how many servings (1/2 cup is a serving) of veggies and fruit we eat and how many 10-minute increments of exercise we get each day. I eat a lot of veggies and fruits anyway, but it does help me to be more consistent about it on a daily basis. We are also having some classes of different types at work, and get 2 points every week when we weigh-in, if we want to. I'm not doing the weigh-in thing, as I don't want to become focused on weight, but I can do the other stuff.

So, I've told myself for a long time that I'm in better shape than I look, but now I feel better knowing that I'm not just fooling myself, lol. We had an hour-long Pilates class Friday and it was me and a lot of thin people. Not that any of them ever treat me different or anything, it's just it can be a little intimidating in a class environment. However, I was doing the harder versions of most everything and was keeping up with them and was even used as an example of how to do a move correctly, so that made me feel much better. Two of my coworkers who are about 10 years younger than me, and thin, were very supportive, knowing a little about my reservations about the class. Now, it's been a while since I've done Pilates and even then it was in 20-minute sessions by myself in front of the tv, so I'm STILL feeling this even though the class was Friday, lol. However, I forgot how much I like them and I can do them without causing foot pain, so I'm determined to get back on that horse and start doing these home sessions again.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • At 6:30 PM, Blogger Kelley said…

    I really like Pilates too. Doesn't hurt the knees.

     
  • At 8:19 PM, Blogger Aussie Stitcher said…

    Well done on participating in the program. I love your stash haul.

     
  • At 11:55 PM, Blogger Karen said…

    Good for you for joining the program! I keep telling myself I *MUST* get more active, Pilates, Yoga, something!

     
  • At 1:16 PM, Blogger Suz said…

    mmm, pilates. It's great that you did so well. My class is all "skinny" chicks too (I'm nowhere near thin like them, at my double digit size), and I always do better because I pay attention to how my body moves and they don't. You probably do the same without realizing it.

    I recommend that you do a bit o yoga after pilates - yoga is so good at stretching all of the sore bits, it's awesome.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home