Mindy Memories

Friday, May 30, 2008

She gained weight! Oh no!

So, I'm reading one of my boards and there's a post about Oprah and Steadman breaking up and that it caused her to gain weight. Someone then mentions that they broke up a long time ago because she's gained a lot of weight.

Oy. I hate how we are so quick to pay attention to how much weight everyone loses and gains. I know, Oprah has tons of money and I'm really not a big fan. It seems she's very high on her own list of VIP. I freely admit she does a lot of good things, but I'm not going to do something just because she says so. Nonetheless, money or not, she has the same body issues many of us "normal" women have -- probably moreso because she's constantly being scrutinized by people. When she loses weight, people give her a hard time. When she gains it, people give her a hard time and laugh at her. It's sad.

Maybe I'm just sensitive, but I really hate seeing people being judged by their weight -- fat, skinny, whatever. So often, I see people attack a person's looks/size if they do something that isn't liked. What the hell that has to do with what a person says or how a person acts is beyond me, but that person will be made fun of because they are fat. If you have a problem with a person, keep it to the issue at hand. Once people start the personal attacks like that, the argument loses credibility, at least to me. Funny, often these attacks come from people who aren't tiny people, either. Makes no sense to me, can't wrap my head around one fat person picking on another one for being fat.

And yes, I'm using the word "fat." I'm tired of using euphemisms for it. Hey, I'm fat. I'm not fluffy like a cat, I'm fat, lol. So often that word is used to hurt people, used in a very derogatory way. It's simply a descriptive word, but has become a word that indicates the actual worth of a person. I'm not going to let that word get to me anymore, at least most of the time. :) These things don't happen overnight, but I want to react to the word "fat" in the same way I'd react to a person describing me as "short" and a "brunette."

Enough ranting on that for today. :)

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 5:07 PM, Blogger Suz said…

    I love that weight is the first thing someone judges too. The first thing people talk about if you've lost weight "OMG! You lost weight!" I lost a good chunk of weight earlier this year, I usually do when I'm sick or depressed. guess what? OMG! Suzy! You look GREAT! Really? Hating life, depression and unhealthy eating look great? Thanks. I'm unhealthy as all get out and you people can't bother to notice (or care enough to notice?). Kiss my not-so-fat ass. It makes me so angry.

     
  • At 2:33 AM, Blogger Chiloe said…

    I'm fat toooooooooooo !!! :-(( but don't like it !!! lol

     
  • At 12:26 PM, Blogger Faith Ann said…

    I'm not a huge fan of Oprah either. I do feel bad for her that she is scrutinized for her weight loss/gain so frequently. It has to be quite frustrating.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home