Mindy Memories

Friday, May 16, 2008

Mindy no yoga

Yeesh. How many times do I have to try yoga before I'll finally get into my head that it hurts me more than it helps? Everyone thinks yoga is so wonderful and easy, but whenever I take a class or followed a video or TV workout, I just end up in pain. It's not the stretching -- I'm very flexible and do a lot of the stretches anyway. What gets me is all the work that is done on the knees. I've never met an instructor who didn't say, "Just double up the mat/towel under you knee and that will cushion it." Well, I guess that works for most people but not for me. That bump under my knee is big and sticks out and no matter how much I try to cushion it it still hurts.

So, this week was the yoga class at work and I tried it for 20 minutes. I tried extra cushioning, I tried other moves, nothing really worked for me. Finally, I decided that it wasn't worth hurting my knee more than it already was, so I politely explained why I was leaving and left. Oh well. I'll just do the Pilates, which doesn't hurt (except when it's a good hurt, ya know?) and I enjoy.

Let's see if it will stick in my brain this time, lol.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 8:04 PM, Blogger Suz said…

    I have a bad knee, and it formed/grew wrong, so I know what you are talking about with the knee thing. Doubling up the mat/using a towel/using a second mat doesn't do a darn thing. I've just learned how to settle on it just right so it doesn't bug me too much of the time. If it didn't help my bulged disc so much, I probably wouldn't like yoga as much as I do. It's not for everyone, and I think a lot of people who practice it forget that little nugget. I'm sorry it didn't work for you.

    But- Yay! Pilates!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home