Mindy Memories

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Foot mystery may be solved

I was planning on getting a referral from my doctor to see a podiatrist after my vacation, and after comparing notes with my sister I am very interested in seeing what happens.

My foot problem has not gotten better. I bought new athletic shoes and casual shoes (and not cheap), thinking that would help -- nope. That foot still hurts like crazy if I wear any flat shoes other than my Crocs. It's frustrating hearing people lecture me about the dangers of wearing heels when that's the only time my feet don't hurt. People talk about how ugly Crocs are and how sick they are of seeing them because "I can find plenty of comfortable shoes that aren't ugly." Well, good for you!

Anyway, I knew Mo had had a foot problem but we really hadn't talked about the issues we were both having until we got together this past weekend. Seems we had the same symptoms -- only comfortable in heels and no flat shoes (including sneakers), pain and swelling in the same place (even the same foot!), throbbing in the area when sitting after walking a while, excruciating pain if we bang that part of the foot or the other side of the foot, practically dragging the foot behind us when it really hurts, etc. Turns out that she went to a podiatrist who told her she has a genetic defect in that foot -- apparently a bone in the arch area (I don't say arch as our feet are completely flat) never fused properly and after 35+ years it had finally had enough. This started for her a few years ago, when she was about my age. She had orthotics made and she says it's completely different and her feet have been great since then. She can wear shoes that these don't fit in for a day without a huge problem, but she wears these in pretty much everything.

So, I have the feeling this may be my problem and will let my doctor know this new information. I'm hoping I can get to the bottom of this soon. I'm sure orthotics aren't cheap, but I haven't been exercising or even walking as much as I used to because it just hurts too much. I really noticed it when I was in San Francisco this past weekend and didn't do my usual wandering. I miss that.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 3:39 PM, Blogger Suz said…

    I'm glad that you may have found a solution for your feet problem.

     
  • At 10:20 PM, Blogger Aussie Stitcher said…

    That is sounding positive, hope it works as well for you as it has for your sister. Glad you had a good time with your sister.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home