Mindy Memories

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Gone and back again

I went to NY on February 1 and got back yesterday. Grandma died January 30 in the morning and we had her funeral on February 2. It went as well as could be expected. These things are never good, you know. But, she's no longer suffering and went peacefully. It's also nice to see some family members I hadn't seen in a while, and we all know that we tend to get together for weddings and funerals.

So, I was up there for the weekend and stayed a few extra days to help out with the house. Grandma was there for 70 years and didn't throw out much. :) We made a little dent but I'm going back up at a later time (possibly more than once) to help a little more.

Now I'm working hard on getting caught up at work. I haven't really done any stitching for about 1.5 weeks but hope to get a little in this weekend. I ended up stitching "In Memory of Eleanor Bogue" at the bottom of my L&L's Angel of Love and we took it to a framer up there. My parents are paying for the framing and we are donating it to the Hospice in Naples, NY. They made everything so much easier on my parents and my grandmother and the volunteers there really care about what they do, so we figured it's the least we could do. They have a lot of different types of decorations there and I hope they enjoy it. I don't know how they do it. I would get too attached to people and wouldn't be able to handle them dying.

Speaking of framing, the framer we used is "The Frame Shop" in Geneva, if anyone in Central NY is interested. He framed Mirabilia's Crystal Chandelier for my parents and did a great job, and he's framing Angel of Love for $137, which is extremely reasonable. It's a large piece, and I'm getting a gold frame with a small design on it, a single mat and normal glass. I think from now on I'm going to take a few pieces up there whenever I visit and get them framed. My framer here retired and I've been hesitant to try anyone else.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • At 10:05 PM, Blogger claudia said…

    So sorry to hear of your Grandma's passing. It is good to know that she is at peace now and in no pain. It is still hard to lose a loved one.
    Take care of yourself and know that you are in my prayers.

     
  • At 11:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Deepest sympathies about your grandmom. What a lovely gesture to donate a piece of your stitching to the hospice. I'm sure it will hang in a special spot there.
    Don't be a stranger in blogland.
    Take care.

     
  • At 2:36 PM, Blogger Christine said…

    I am so sorry to hear of your Grandma's passing. It's wonderful that you stiched something to donate to the hospice; I am sure they will appreciate the gesture.

    (((hugs!)))

     
  • At 11:18 AM, Blogger Karen said…

    I'm so sorry about your grandmother. I love how you're donating your stitching to the hospice. I'm sure they will love it.

     
  • At 2:02 PM, Blogger Faith Ann said…

    I'm sorry that you've lost your Grandma... they are definitely a special part of our lives.

    That is so generous of you to donate such a beautiful and large piece! It sounds like a fantastic deal on the framing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home