Mindy Memories

Saturday, December 16, 2006

If I get my hands on that little...

Some jackass just called my home as a prank a few minutes ago, about 1:30 in the morning. If I ever get my hands on this little jerk I swear he'd get a thrashing. It's bad enough to be calling people like that, but my grandmother is dying and if I get a phonecall past 9PM that's the first thing I think. Of course, the caller ID helps but this said "blocked call" so I didn't know who it was and thought it could be my parents calling from a different phone.

So, I'm tired as heck but when you get woken up like that your adrenaline kicks in a bit and it's hard to get back to sleep. I hope to soon, though.

I guess I haven't mentioned it here, het. Long story short, Grandma collapsed over Thanksgiving weekend when my sister was visiting. They took her to the hospital and found she has cancer all through her body and she's now in a Hospice. There's nothing they can do but make her as comfortable as possible. We've known that something has been wrong with her for a while, but she's a Christian Scientist so won't go to a doctor and won't tell anybody about her problems -- even though we all ask and try to get her to tell us.

Which brings up another point: I'm so sick of this damn disease taking away the people I care about! I have a stitching friend who is just a little older than me who has been fighting it for a few years. Every time they get rid of it in one place, it ends up someplace else. I lost my other grandmother to ovarian cancer in 1989 and her symptoms were very similar to what's now going on with my other grandmother. My great aunt's breast cancer has come back and she will probably be gone in the next 6 months. She was home with me when I went to my senior prom and helped me get ready for it, as my parents had already left for NY for my sister's college graduation (I went up later). My dad has had a few bouts with prostate cancer, but both times they found it very early through blood test and were able to contain it, but it worries me.

I get so angry when I hear people say that cancer is "practically cured" and it's not that bad. I know that treatments have come a long way and people can survive it longer than they used to, but don't give this "cure" crap. If there's a cure, then why are people still dying? I try not to think to much about it, but at this rate I'm waiting to hear that my mom, my sister, or I have it, as it seems to run in my family.

So, thank you, little jackass, for calling me and getting me all riled up on a Friday night/Saturday morning when all I wanted to do was sleep through the night. Yeah, thanks a lot.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm so sorry about your grandmother and the rest of your family.

    Right now two of my family members are currently "losing their battle" with cancer (luckily, a third is in remission), and a friend is dying too. I used to work cancer research and interacted with patients. I tend to go ballistic when people act like it's no big deal or there's some easy cure or a single cure for everything (especially if you "want to live enough"). I hope and pray for the best for your family through this time.

     
  • At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm sorry about your grandmother. :( I lost my grandmother in 1985 to cancer. And my DH's aunt passed away a few weeks ago after a long 8-year battle with cancer. My neighbor two doors down was just diagnosed with breast cancer. Now my father is undergoing tests for what they think might be a "tumor" of his kidney. Cancer is FAR from cured. Sometimes it seems like it's not a matter of IF you'll get it, but WHEN and what kind you'll get. It's very scarey. {{{ Hugs }}} to you.

     
  • At 12:01 AM, Blogger Dianne said…

    I'm sorry about your grandmom too.
    I can't stand it even when I get calls after 10 pm (Bri's dad does this) as I think someone is ill,etc. It makes you edgy for sure.
    I'll keep your grandmom in my thoughts and prayers/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home