Mindy Memories

Monday, May 15, 2006

Crappy weekend, but could have been worse

I guess it wasn't THAT bad, but it wasn't THAT good, either.

I babysat for my friend on Saturday so she and her DH could go to DH's brother's wedding. Fine, not a problem, been planning it for a few weeks. Well, apparently when she was ready to leave (after about 3.5 hours) some of the people there, including the groom, didn't want her to go. Nice, but she was feeling ill and needed to go. Plus, they called me and asked me if it was OK if I could stay longer so she could stay -- she knew nothing about this phonecall until after the fact. Now, is it just me, or was that pretty rude of them to do, on a few levels? She felt awful about it, but I knew it wasn't her fault.

It's just part of that whole mentality a lot of our "friends" have (well, guess they are her friends, not really mine if this is they way they treat me) -- they see me as Dana's Babysitter, not as Mindy. Frankly, I'm getting sick of it and there's going to come a time when I'm going to blow a gasket on them. I almost did this weekend, but luckily I would have had to pick up a phone so it didn't happen. This isn't the first time something like this has happened. Several times they've wanted her to go out with them and don't understand why she doesn't just call me at the last minute to babysit, of why she doesn't ask Sean to babysit. She promised Sean he would not be used as a babysitter, even though her sister has used her oldest as a babysitter for years. I don't get invited to some events because hey! We can't invite Mindy because needs to be the babysitter!

Now, Dana isn't this way at all, and a couple of our other friends were ticked about the situation as well. Dana sees me as a good friend who she pays sometimes to babysit Kylie -- maybe once or twice a month, tops. We see each other more often without the kids than with them, and I know that's not easy for her and tells me a lot. I guess they figure that because I don't have kids I can just come when called and only be called to babysit. Yes, I'm a homebody, I admit it. That doesn't mean I'm not doing things I want to do, dammit!

Plus most of the people acting this way have kids of their own. The difference, for the most part, is that they only have their kids part-time and I don't think they realize that full-time parents don't have the same flexibility. It will be easier when Kylie's older. She's also a good mom and wants to be sure she spends time with her kids, too.

Anyway, maybe I'm just being oversensitive, spending too much time on childfree boards LOL. However, I've been getting this attitude from some people for a while and it's really getting old.

Oh, the other part of the crappy weekend was that, after the babysitting debacle, I came home to a flooded bathroom because some dolt in the building keeps flushing stuff they shouldn't flush. Because of where my apartment is located, everything backs up into my place first. So, it's the old trick where the toilet doesn't overflow, but if you flush it water comes up through the tub and between the toilet and the floor. Once again, the poor maintenance guy had to come out on a weekend to fix it. He usually is stuck coming out on a weekend or holiday. Thank God he's a nice guy and knows it's not my fault.

Oh well, at least I got a little more stitching done on Deepest Love and read some more of Lost Blogs. That helped. What would I do without stress relievers like stitching and reading?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home