Mindy Memories

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Well, it IS the alternator

Darn it! Oh well, I can get a rebuilt one for $85 and trade labor time for babysitting time, so it's still a lot cheaper than the $300 total the garage wanted. I'm hoping to get a new car within the next year, so I don't mind getting a rebuilt one.

I keep debating with myself about this car. I put in about $1000 a few months ago, fixing the oil leak and getting her inspection stickers. Now there's this problem. Deron said he can help me with the rust problem, since it's surface rust at the moment, and he can also do a tune-up. Yes, they are going to get a lot of babysitting out of me LOL! So, I want to keep it as long as I can so I can build up savings for a used car, or at least a decent down payment on a hybrid car. The only thing I really don't like about this car is the front end is about a mile long and it's a pain in the rear to park. If I get a job in the city I'll probably end up taking SEPTA to work anyway. So the car would be used for errands and traveling, and I'd save a lot on gas, but would then pay for a monthly transpass for SEPTA, which evens out to about the same amount in gas. Still, I'd be saving on wear and tear on the car.

It's hard to decide. I guess in the end, if the car still gets me where I need to go and I don't have to put too much more into her, I'll keep her as long as possible. I don't like the idea of getting a new car unless the old one is just not good anymore. That goes against my grain, and if I can save some money in the meantime (after I get a job paying me a better salary) that will help me buy a car with lower payments.

Sorry for the ramble. I'm pretty much talking to myself, don't mind me :)

1 Comments:

  • At 10:08 PM, Blogger Valerie (grvlgal) said…

    How about a comment from someone who's not a spammer. ;)

    I totally understand your way of thinking about driving the car as long as you can. Both of our cars are paid for. Mine especially falls in the "not pretty" category. However, we've maintained them well, and wheels haven't fallen off yet so there's no reason we should quit driving them.

    Besides, being frugal has it's benefits....more money for stash. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home