Mindy Memories

Monday, September 20, 2004

It's Monday again

And I feel like I have another cold! I'm pretty sure I know what's causing this, and I think it's an allergy not a cold. This is the third time I've felt like this since I started working my new job in June. I usually get one cold a year, if that, so this is odd. However, I've been noticing a black dust coming out of the a/c vent above my desk. We mentioned it to the maintenance people and they are supposed to be putting a filter over it but haven't done so yet. I'll mention it to my boss again today. The worst I felt was for about 5 days last month and that was after I had cleaned up the area when it became my permanent desk. I bet I breathed in a lot of it. The other two times were when I had to do some riling around on my upper shelf, which is where most of this stuff lands. I also notice that when I come in some mornings my mousepad has a grainy feel to it and I wipe it off, and it's probably the same stuff. I hope they fix it soon because I shouldn't have to feel like this every few weeks.

Saturday was BJ's baby shower. It was nice -- no stupid games and a small amount of people. The sad thing was that some had also been invited to another shower next weekend because BJ's mom and her DH's mom don't get along. My friend helped plan this and had told her mom what was up and wanted to have one, but at the last minute her mom decided to have her own shower and not invite my friend, therefore not invite other people BJ would probably want because she doesn't know most of her friends. She pretty much ignores her in favor of her younger sister. The thing is, BJ was very happy with the small shower she had from her DH's mom (who is very cool, by the way) and really isn't into having a million showers. She's also getting one at work. When people complain about baby showers they really should remember that often the recipient has no idea nor any control over them.

It's also good but sad about the baby. She was born very early and is going to be in the hospital for at least another five weeks, we think. She's already been there about three or four. It's kinda sad when everybody's happy that the baby just hit 3 pounds. She's doing well though, so that's good.

On the way over we were rearended. Nothing serious, but it was a little funny looking back. We had heavy rains all day Saturday, and Dana was sitting at the light. Then I got this jolt and was knocked forward and back a bit, luckily wearing my seatbelt. Dana's reaction was a simple "I knew that was going to happen," she got out, saw no damage and let the person go. It was just so strange because she wasn't upset or anything. She said whenever there's bad weather and she's driving a relatively new car she expects it. She had a year left to pay on her Sonata when she was sideswipped on the interstate last spring during a snowstorm when this moron decided he had to go faster than everybody else and that he should use the shoulder to do so. Her car was totaled and she's lucky she wasn't totaled as well. So, this Saturn is a 2005 and maybe 6 months old. On the way there we saw two other accidents -- one was a guy who came down the hill too fast and hit a stone wall, the other was also apparently going too fast. He was going fast enough down a hill that he went off the road and UP a hill into the front bushes of a motel! We thought he had hit the motel but on the way back it looked OK. It appears that the bushes stopped him from ending up in the building. People need to realize that when it rains you should go a little slower so you have stopping time and such. Of course, the woman who rearended us ended up flying past us and we were surprised to not see her in another accident farther up the road.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:17 AM, Blogger Dianne said…

    Hey Mindy,
    Sounds like you work in a 'sick building'. Is there anyway you could move your desk away from the vent? You don't really need to be inhaling all that stuff, esp if it's black (it's visible-so what's it doing to your lungs?) I know just in my house, if Brian doesn't change the heater filter (used for the a/c too) at least every few months, I get the same thing as you-feel like I'm all stuffed up and have coughing attacks.
    Sorry about the hassle you had in the Saturn. Dana should still see if the car was knocked out of alignment. I was rear-ended on City Line Ave a few years ago and couldn't get out (because of the traffic) to blast the old guy who did the ramming. I swear because of that not only did Sean say his neck hurt him, but the van is steering to the right. You just never know.
    Good luck with everything!

     
  • At 7:59 PM, Blogger Faith Ann said…

    I hope they get a filter soon. I've worked in buildings that really aggravated my allergies and it's awful feeling like you have a cold all the time.

    I love showers that skip the stupid games! Does anybody like those games?

    {{Hugs}} to your friend whose baby is still in the hospital. I hope Baby keeps gaining and progressing so the homecoming will be soon! It's exhausting and stressful to be away from your new baby.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home