Mindy Memories

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Recap

Howdy all! Haven't been here since Saturday afternoon, so I figured I'd get a little caught up:

1. Dogsitting went very well. I sat with Jayme, my friend's slightly overstuffed Australian Shepherd mix. I was there from Thursday night through Monday morning. They got home Sunday night but we had planned for me to stay over since we figured we'd be up late gabbing. I missed Tim and Smokey, and they missed me -- which is nice -- but I have to say it was wonderful having a large house to myself and a dog LOL! I took the most luxurious bath I've EVER had! In the master bath is one of those deep whirlpool tubs. I put bubblebath in it and started the jets, then realized I should probably turn the jets off or I'd have a room full of bubbles (duh). So, I sank into this thing and had bubbles all over the place, like something you see in the movies. Very relaxing. Jayme was good and I also took care of the neighbor's dogs (two lovely Golden Retrievers) on Saturday. My friend's neighbor works where I work, as does my friend, but I'm the one who got my friend the job there and didn't know they were neighbors as my friend just recently moved there. (boggle)

2. Babysitting on Sunday was fine, too. Kylie will be 2 in November and I was there with her for a few hours while the rest of the family went to my friends' parents 40th anniversary party. Kylie was pretty good, except for some couch diving when she decided she was going to get her toys out of the bag by staying on the couch and leaning over the side. Yep, you guessed it -- feet went over her head. She was fine, but I saw it just as it happened and couldn't quite get to her in time. Later on, she discovered the scar on the bottom of my neck from thyroid surgery I had as a child. She was very concerned and kept saying "sore? sore" over and over, then covered it up with my collar LOL! I tried to convince her that it's all better now, but that got me nowhere fast. Then she had her stuffed parrot kiss my scar to make it better :)

3. Had a second interview at that place I hope to work. It was Thursday morning with the rest of the department. I think it went very well and am hoping I hear something soon. Even if I didn't get it, I'd feel better knowing than wondering. I'm going to give it a few more days before I ask because I don't want to seem impatient. I was good again, and wrote little "thank you" emails to the people with whom I met. They seem like a great group and I think I'd be right at home there.

4. Still in my stitching slump. These things used to bother me but I know that I'll always come back to it. Sometimes these things last a few days, sometimes a few weeks or a month or two. Hershey CATS is coming up soon, and I have the feeling that will help me get back on track if I'm not there in the meantime. The good thing about a stitching slump is this is when I tend to get my reading in. I finally bought The Lord of the Rings in one volume and am reading it. I'm currently reading the about the Council of Elrond and just to go the part where Gandalf has discussed his escape from Orthanc. I like the book very much so far. I think seeing the movie first -- and a million times LOL -- has really helped me with the names because many of the names are familiar and I don't have to try as hard to remember who is who. It also helped that I read the Silmarillion already and the appendices to LOTR before I read the book itself.

5. I've been taking SEPTA to work this week and probably will for a while. My car is making a sound like the brakes are hung up and when Deron can look at it he will, but it may not be until Sunday. In the meantime, I'm saving money because tokens are cheaper than gas and this is a little less wear and tear on the car. Plus, I figure this is just a little something I can do to help the current problems. It's not much, but it's something.

6. As for Hurricane Katrina, I'm still just horrified by what has happened. I don't think it will be better for a long time. I'm impressed by those who, although they have no homes, are already beating the pavement looking for jobs. I can't imagine how difficult this must be for everybody involved -- the stranded, those in overflowing cities, volunteers, etc. I still don't agree with pointing and blaming one person. This goes back too far for it all to fall on one or two people currently in power. I'm trying to focus on not taking things for granted and remembering those people who are dealing with the aftermath, rather than pointing fingers. I admit it's very hard to do because I WANT to blame somebody -- anybody, everybody.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:26 AM, Blogger Faith Ann said…

    I hope you hear from the interview soon... good luck!!

     
  • At 10:59 AM, Blogger Jill in CA said…

    Wow, you read the Silmarillion *before* reading LOTR?! I've read the Sil twice and LOTR more times than I can recall. I'm glad you're enjoying the books; they are my all time favorites. :)

    Best of luck with the interview results!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home