Mindy Memories

Thursday, July 07, 2005

My heart hurts

While driving to work this morning I heard the news about the explosions in London. I don't know what to say. I feel horrible for my friends across the sea. I think I handled 9/11 better than this, at least before I saw the pictures later in the day. Just listening to the news reports on the radio that day didn't give me the full effect. So now I'm sitting here at my desk with some Coke to settle my stomach. I'm not scared for my own safety, at least not any more than on a normal day. I'm just upset and feel bad, and I have that heavy feeling in my stomach and chest. Maybe it's because I am have so many online friends from England and I feel for them.

I also feel bad that I feel worse about this than some other things that happened in the past in other countries that were worse in terms of damage and loss of life. As horrible as that tsunami was a few months back, I feel worse about this. Loss of life was considerably less in London. Do I feel worse because this was an act of man, not of God? I don't know, but I feel guilty about it, which is stupid. The whole thing is stupid.

I think part of the reason I feel so bad is because this week saw such joy when London was named as the 2012 Olympic city, and now this. Maybe that's one of the reasons London was targeted, but I doubt it was the only reason, nor the main reason.

I'm so sorry this has happened.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Please, don't feel guilty. The tsunami was a natural disaster. It reminds us that we are tenants on earth, and not owners. But here, 4 blasts in 30 minutes... you can feel evil at work. Evil from within human beings. How can someone can be so cold hearted to decide to kill innocent people? From all ages, nationalities, religions, colours, etc?

    I think that's what's most disturbing...

     
  • At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mindy, while surfing through Isabelle's blog I came across yours. First let me say this that please don't feel guilty. It is the work of evil people but thank goodness that there are few people with warpped minds. We cannot let them take over our lives and minds. I was travelling in London very close to all the blasts. I am thankful that I am safe but very sad that there were many who were not as lucky as me.

    Your cross stitch work is beautiful. I tried my hand at cross stitch a long time ago but was never patient enough to do that sort of fine work. But I am passionate about cloth art dolls.
    I especially love the mermaid. Beautifully done

     

Post a Comment

<< Home