Mindy Memories

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

"How could he cheat on her? She's beautiful!"

Since Tiger Woods' accident in November that eventually brought out his cheating ways, how many times have you heard (or maybe even said) something like this? I remember hearing something similar to this when Hugh Grant got caught with a prostitute when he was married to Elizabeth Hurley. We hear this sentiment all the time, actually. It really goes against my grain for several reasons:

1. I'm not one of the beautiful people, so maybe I'm just jealous. LOL, I don't really think that way but I'm sure there are those who will assume that's my problem. I figured I'd put it out there first.

2. I hate the assumption that someone who looks a certain way physically isn't supposed to be mistreated, but it's OK for average people to have husbands who cheat. How many times have I seen something like "Oh, of course he cheated on her! She got fat/got ugly/got old/whatever." Often women are the worst offenders. I see many women making these excuses for men who cheat on their wives/girlfriends. We basically are telling guys that if we gain a pound or get old (because none of us get old, right?), they can use such excuses for cheating.

3. I also hate that assumption because physically beautiful women are more than just their looks. I know many beautiful women who are also intelligent, hard-working, generous and kind. I've heard some comments made by men about some of them about their looks, but not so much about who they really are. Frankly, I think that's just as offensive as the guy who walks by me and makes a "Fattie" comment.

There's a lot more rambling I could do on this subject, but I need to get ready for work. It just drives me crazy that so often I hear these things coming from women's mouths. It's quite mind-boggling to me.

Oh, and men don't have a monopoly on cheating. There are certainly plenty of women our there who are having affairs and make up all sorts of excuses why it's OK, like "the heart wants what it wants." Gimme a break.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 9:39 AM, Blogger Rachel S-H said…

    People try to use any excuse to justify bad behavior. There's a rumor that he's AWOL because she hit him in the face. The radio DJs were saying it was justified. WHAT THE . . . she could have killed him? That's never justified.

     
  • At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well said, Mindy, well said.

    I'm sorry to see that you've abandoned this blog. Although your postings haven't elicited all that many comments, you're written a lot of good stuff here over the years.

     
  • At 11:21 AM, Blogger Albita said…

    i must say that yes people use any excuse to justified their wrong doings..and neither the cheater not ther one that gets cheated is to blame for it...and i dont mean to say that they are in the wrong or the right to each its own..but what i mean by that is that first of trust in today's society is not worth a shit...on top poeple do things becuase they want to and they get tempted to..human beings have weakness of mind and flesh... again im not justifying one or the other... im single and i have had relationships where i was cheated on...its sad but i've come to accept human as being weak...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home